Help I'm doing a Jeff Novick! Just kidding....

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Help I'm doing a Jeff Novick! Just kidding....

Postby Wendy Jane » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Okay, so what is a Jeff Novick? That's when you go into the grocery store with a magnifying glass and a calculator! The magnifier is used to read the fine print on the labels, especially the ingredients. You'd be surprised at the hidden oils, sugars, and worse. Over the years I've learned to PUT IT BACK if I see an ingredient list a mile long. I know there's at least one or more things in it I don't want.

The calculator is used to figure out the percentage of fat in an item. And as Jeff explains in his lectures the percentages on a label are misleading. Who would have known this? Not me. But as most of us here already know one of the safest places in the grocery store is the produce aisle! So if you EVER look into my purse you'll find a small magnifying glass and calculator. Never go shopping without them!
Thanks Jeff!! Much appreciated.

And by the way Jeff---are you ever going to do any current lectures like you've done in the past? Your lectures on reading food labels, calorie density, etc are very educational. Just asking. Thanks.
Wendy Jane

Re: Help I'm doing a Jeff Novick! Just kidding....

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 am

Wendy Jane wrote: Thanks Jeff!! Much appreciated.

Thank you! Made my day!

Wendy Jane wrote: And by the way Jeff---are you ever going to do any current lectures like you've done in the past? Your lectures on reading food labels, calorie density, etc are very educational. Just asking. Thanks.

All the current lectures I give at the 10-Day are constantly updated. While some of the names are the same, all of them are updated and often expanded to cover new material. I am currently doing 8-10 lectures at the 10-Day....

- Weighing in on the Weight Debate
- Calorie Density and The Passive Overconsumption of Calories
- Label Reading Pt 1 (the basic lecture)
- Label Reading Pt 2 (a review of the WFM shopping trip and all the new vegan fake meats and dairy)
- From Oil to Nuts (and the MED Diet, Nuts, Coconut oil, Essential Fats, DHA, etc)
- The Fast Food Cooking Demo (which is both lecture and demo)
- Meal Planning (with Heather)
- Dining Out (with Heather)
- a Q&A on the last day.

Sorry, but the jokes are the same. :)

Now, If you mean am I going to make any more DVD’s or online video’s, not right away. I think all the platforms are overloaded with information and this information overload is doing more harm then good. I have been saying this for quite a few years, and every year it gets worse and worse, even in the world of WFPB. People are convinced that there is a “next best thing” about to come out and people are spending so much time chasing that and unfortunately, many are feeding that just for fame and money. More info is not always better. I don't want to add to this right now.

I have been doing occasional webinars for the McDougall 10-Day Alumni Group, with Dr Lim and Dr Lisle but that is a private group.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Help I'm doing a Jeff Novick! Just kidding....

Postby Wendy Jane » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Well, if you EVER decide to do any more DVD's I want them!! I keep looking for them, purchasing them, and passing them out to friends who need the info. We've also had folks over and played them. I'm afraid I'm eventually going to wear out our copies!

So if there's a link where I could occasionally purchase one or two that'd be great! Thanks.
Wendy Jane

Return to Jeff Novick, RD