How does the regular program work?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How does the regular program work?

Postby McCalister.A » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I am curious how the food is set up, what is served and how people are instructed to plate their food during the 10 day regular program. Are breads or other flour products served? Any high fat foods? How many vegetables are encouraged? I recall that the average weight loss during the regular program was 3.5lbs in a week. I am wondering what the food looked like at the program that brought about these results.

I guess I just have a lot of confusion about how many vegetables I have to eat, whether I can eat flour products and what the limitations there would be as well as for high fat foods. The reason for this confusion is other plant based doctors and gurus promoting a completely SOS free diet and avoiding all flour and high fat foods and saying that we should be eating at least 2lbs of vegetables a day as a minimum as well as eating vegetables before eating any starchy foods. I'd prefer to follow the least restrictive program that I can including small amounts of salt and sugar for taste because it doesn't seem to cause problems for me but I feel like I'm doing something wrong by putting a tsp of sugar on my oatmeal or a tablespoon of BBQ sauce or mustard on my potatoes.

Thanks!
McCalister.A

Re: How does the regular program work?

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:46 am

McCalister.A wrote:I am curious how the food is set up, what is served and how people are instructed to plate their food during the 10 day regular program. Are breads or other flour products served? Any high fat foods? How many vegetables are encouraged? I recall that the average weight loss during the regular program was 3.5lbs in a week. I am wondering what the food looked like at the program that brought about these results.

At the 10-Day, we serve a buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner and have a snack room that is open 24 hours. Everyone, regardless of why they are there, is encourage to eat whenever hungry until comfortably full. For those who want to follow the MWL guidelines, we mark the items that meet those guidelines. Foods high in fat and foods high in calorie density are marked on the menus. We also mark the foods that have gluten for those avoiding it. This makes it easier for those wanting to follow the MWL while there.

The breakfast buffet starts out with a selection of fresh ripe melons, berries and other seasonal fruits. This is followed by oatmeal, a few dry cereals, and a hot entree (rice and beans, hash browns, etc).

The lunch and dinner buffets start out with a selection of salad ingredients, followed by a soup, followed by a few steamed veggies, followed by a couple entrees. If you checkout the main FB Page of John McDougall, MD, and scroll down, you will see photo’s of the buffets from recent programs

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DrJohnMcDou ... 1683444054

We do encourage people to try most all the food so they can find a selection of dishes they like to be able to make at home.

During their individual doctors visits, they may be given some special instructions in regard to the food depending on their diagnosis.

This link is to the menu from a recent 3-Day Immersion program which will let you see all the above

https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/3-day-i ... -09-19.pdf

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD