Here’s a new one

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Here’s a new one

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi Jeff.

I was hanging out with a friend today who is very open to alternative medicine practices and is currently on a “vacation from solid food (VSF)” or “juice feast.” She is planning on doing this for 92 days (!!!) to remove mucoid plaque. This was all news to me, but I have a feeling you might have heard of mucoid plaque before. I can’t tell if this is an actual thing or some sort of flat earth conspiracy. Is this a real thing?

Thanks,
Lindsey
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: Here’s a new one

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Lyndzie wrote:Hi Jeff.

I was hanging out with a friend today who is very open to alternative medicine practices and is currently on a “vacation from solid food (VSF)” or “juice feast.” She is planning on doing this for 92 days (!!!) to remove mucoid plaque. This was all news to me, but I have a feeling you might have heard of mucoid plaque before. I can’t tell if this is an actual thing or some sort of flat earth conspiracy. Is this a real thing?

Thanks,
Lindsey

Flat earth conspiracy type of thing

These may help..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5852

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58495

https://nlp.cs.nyu.edu/meyers/controver ... _0515.html

When I was a graduate student interning in the hospital back around 1995, I asked the doctors who did the colonoscopies if they had ever seen anything like this (the presence of, or the, elimination of pounds of mucoid plaque). They all said no, never. I asked if i could witness this for myself and over the next few days, they let me witness several colonoscopies and took picture of others they had done on patients who had serious disease to show me. Nothing. I asked if I could have the pictures if I took the patients name off of them and they agreed. I still have them. I used to have them posted on my website, with a discussion about this, and can put the picture back up (i would have to see if I can find the discussion). This include pictures of colons with all kinds of bowel problems including polyps, diverticulosis, IBD, cancer, ulceration, etc and while you can see these pathologies, there is not one drop of mucoid plaque anywhere.

Someone, who sold one of these expensive 3 month detox programs, responded to this once telling me that the reason these colons all looked so clean was because they all had to have the colonoscopy cleansing (or a laxative) solution the night before. I said, well it is true that they do have to take a cleansing solution the day before but based on the colonoscopies I have seen and the picture of them, this cleansing solution left all the colons spotless. This means the simple cleansing (or laxative) solution works much better (and is way cheaper) then your expensive 90 day cleansing solution. It worked miraculously overnight! :)

There are over 10 million colonoscopies done every year in the USA. No one has ever documented pounds (let alone any amount) of this mucoid plaque present in the colon or coming out from the cleansing solution.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Here’s a new one

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks, Jeff.

I get the impression that a 90 day juice fast is a bad idea, especially without medical supervision. I’m pretty worried about my friend. It’s hard to disprove things that don’t exist.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD