No Cheese Sauce

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

No Cheese Sauce

Postby Bkworm » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am

Ok, my question is whether this recipe from FOK is good or bad?

https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes ... #gs.ut35wl

After trying many different types of no cheese sauce recipes which were ok but not great, I came across this one. I have tried recipes which use cauliflower as the base and others using potatoes as the base plus one that uses both cauliflower and potatoes. Then I found this one and love it. Of course, I just had to change it some. I do not put tahini in it and if I use cashews at all, I only use one tablespoon instead of the 3 tablespoons indicated. Also, I use two red peppers instead of just one and add more water to the recipe to make it thinner.

Usually, I make a double recipe and that lasts a week. I guess what I am really questioning is if the one cup of food yeast, or two when I double the recipe, is too much of a good thing. I love the sauce on just about any potato and veggie combo. Can't eat rice or would put it on that. Planning to cook some quinoa to see if it is good on quinoa. Love to cook a russet potato, mash it and top with the no cheese sauce while steaming a pound of Costco frozen broccoli to put on top of that and top with more no cheese sauce. Can use any veggie to top of the potato but love broccoli the best.

It just seems too good to be true. Should I be limiting myself to a quarter cup a week or is it okay to just enjoy it on everything. Read up on food yeast and was surprised to see how much fat is in it. But food yeast is high in B vitamins including B12.

Thanks for your input.
Bkworm

Re: No Cheese Sauce

Postby JeffN » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:34 am

I always worry about things that seem to be "to good to be true." :)

Here is a link to some of my concerns, one of which, is the amount of Nutritional Yeast.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34262&p=346801#p346801

It would also be of value for you to take the actual recipes you make and enter it into an analysis program so we can see what you are actually consuming.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi Jeff,
I occasionally make a nut free no cheese sauce:

brandnewvegan.com/recipes/amazing-vegan-cheese-sauce

It has only 6 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and makes quite a bit. I use my instant pot but that is not required. It's good on beans on tortillas, baked potatoes, steamed broccoli. I cut the salt from 1 tsp to 1/2 tsp as I am trying to adapt to a lower salt intake.

Pros: no nuts, base is potatoes and carrots, makes a lot
Cons: does not freeze and then microwave thaw to original creamy consistancy. Still good, just not as creamy as freshly made

I freeze it anyway, pouring it into a silicone muffin pan, and just pop them out like orange hockey pucks! If you have time, could you look at the recipe and evaluate whether it's okay for occasional use (one recipe lasts me 4 to 6 weeks) ? Thanks!
spinner

Postby Bkworm » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:35 pm

First, Jeff, thank you for responding to my post so quickly. I apologize for taking so long to respond. We left on a trip just after I posted the question and I needed to wait until we returned home to have time to read the links you provided and so I would have my large keyboard to type on instead of the cell phone and iPhone. My hands don't like those too much.

Anyway, I did not realize just how much I did not know about food yeast, WOW. Thanks for educating me about food yeast. Haven't made that recipe since I posted. Figured the sauce was too good to be true.

Than today a Facebook post appeared from Chef A J about a no cheese sauce. Did you mention to her the need for a no cheese sauce that does not use food yeast, nuts, legumes, or potatoes? Watched her YouTube presentation and wrote down the recipe. On the way to the kitchen now to create a batch. Can't wait to taste it.

Thanks again so much for your input, Jeff.
Bkworm

Return to Jeff Novick, RD