Chronic Kidney Disease

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chronic Kidney Disease

Postby carps » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 pm

My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4/5 Chronic Kidney Disease. he is not yet on Dialysis but has to follow a low potassium, low sodium, low phosphorus diet.
To be honest I’m so confused. There is so much conflicting information out there regarding a renal diet, and many of the things we ate before on a wfpb diet we now have to avoid. The list of foods to avoid is long and portions are tiny.
We have even been told to eat white bread instead of whole grain, and canned fruit instead of fresh.

Everything we’ve spent years transitioning to is now considered dangerous for him to eat and I cannot figure out what to feed him.

Is this another situation similar to diabetes where the information is backwards, or should we continue to eat WFPB and limit the high potassium and phosphorus foods such as avocados, potatoes, spinach, oats, beans, bananas, nuts Etc.

It doesn’t leave a lot!
carps

Re: Chronic Kidney Disease

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:25 am

carps wrote:My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4/5 Chronic Kidney Disease. he is not yet on Dialysis but has to follow a low potassium, low sodium, low phosphorus diet.
To be honest I’m so confused. There is so much conflicting information out there regarding a renal diet, and many of the things we ate before on a wfpb diet we now have to avoid. The list of foods to avoid is long and portions are tiny.
We have even been told to eat white bread instead of whole grain, and canned fruit instead of fresh.

Everything we’ve spent years transitioning to is now considered dangerous for him to eat and I cannot figure out what to feed him.

Is this another situation similar to diabetes where the information is backwards, or should we continue to eat WFPB and limit the high potassium and phosphorus foods such as avocados, potatoes, spinach, oats, beans, bananas, nuts Etc.

It doesn’t leave a lot!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58699&p=590552&#p590552

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD