zinc

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

zinc

Postby michelemrd » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:30 am

I am a registered dietitian nutritionist and have been in practice for over 28 years. I'm now transitioning into a whole foods plant-based diet. I recall from years ago education that vegans had to supplement with Zinc. Is that still the recommendation?
michelemrd

Re: zinc

Postby JeffN » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 am

michelemrd wrote:I am a registered dietitian nutritionist and have been in practice for over 28 years. I'm now transitioning into a whole foods plant-based diet. I recall from years ago education that vegans had to supplement with Zinc. Is that still the recommendation?

Congratulations on your transition to a whole foods plant-based diet.

While a whole foods plant-based diet can be exclusively plants, it doesn’t have to be. Ornish, Pritikin, Kempner etc are not vegan, neither were the original Esselstyn and CHIP programs.

In regard to zinc, I would recommend reading this thread and then let me know if you have other questions

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11021

I would also recommend reading the latest position paper on vegetarian and vegan diets by the ADN

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: zinc

Postby michelemrd » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:06 am

Thank you for that information and for your help!
michelemrd

Return to Jeff Novick, RD