New Protein requirements? - Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Protein requirements? - Redux

Postby Pasta&Spuds » Wed May 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Jeff,

I've been reading your Protein Series and came across the statement "Elevated IGF-1 levels in adults can increase the growth rate of cancer. Even isolated plant proteins (like soy) can raise IGF-1 levels."
So Protein raises IGF-1 Levels and IGF-1 can increase the growth rate of cancer.
I've had cancer, don't want it back.
I've been vegan for 8 years, own all your DVD's Jeff and value your opinion.
I try to include in my diet every day a half can of no salt added beans, mainly to ensure I'm getting enough protein.. Is that too much protein?
You give a general outline of what to eat everyday. Dr. Greger gives a more specific outline of what to eat in his Daily Dozen.
He suggests 3 servings of beans/day (half cup servings). Would you agree it's OK to follow his Daily Dozen?

Also, when are you going to write a book?
Much of your Nutrition knowledge is online but it would be great to see it organized in one place in a book.
I bet I'm not alone in that opinion.
You and Dr. Milton Mills. If you ever run into him, tell him we want a book.
I'm 69. Hope you guys start writing soon.

Thanks
Pasta&Spuds

Re: New Protein requirements? - Redux

Postby JeffN » Wed May 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Pasta&Spuds wrote: I try to include in my diet every day a half can of no salt added beans, mainly to ensure I'm getting enough protein.. Is that too much protein?

Most of our concern is from the intake of isolated concentrated protein powders, plant or animal.

In regard to how many beans to eat, what I would recommend you do is to input your diet over the course of a few days or a week, into the CRON-O-Meter and see how much total protein you are getting in from all foods. Then, compare that against the RDA of .8gm/kg healthy body weight.

Then you will know.

SPOILER ALERT! As you will see, including 1/2 - 1 cup of cooked beans a day as part of the recommended diet is usually more then enough. :)

Pasta&Spuds wrote: You give a general outline of what to eat everyday.

The reason is, dietary patterns trump single foods. This is SUCH an important concept to grasp. One (or two) foods (good or bad) is not going to make a good diet bad or a bad diet good. Most all the research done on single foods is irrelevant and almost always presented without context or perspective.

Marion Neslte just wrote an excellent book on this issue

Unsavory Truth: How Food Companies Skew the Science of What We Eat
https://www.foodpolitics.com/unsavory-truth-how-food-companies-skew-the-science-of-what-we-eat/

If you scroll down, you will find a list of recent interviews, podcasts and videos of her discussions on this issue

Pasta&Spuds wrote: Would you agree it's OK to follow his Daily Dozen?

No. While I doubt it would hurt you, I know of no evidence it will help you beyond what we recommend here, which has been proven. And it adds in the hurdles of counting and portioning servings. I do not know of any study that put people on the Daily Dozen and followed them over time to see its impact on diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure, etc. It is actually based on the exact type of research I am recommending against.

I would recommend you follow the principles and guidelines recommended here and adjust if needed to your specific situation.

Pasta&Spuds wrote:Also, when are you going to write a book? Much of your Nutrition knowledge is online but it would be great to see it organized in one place in a book.I bet I'm not alone in that opinion.

Dr Mills and I go back a long way and worked together on the Meals for Health program

Thanks for your kind words

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD