New Protein requirements?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

New Protein requirements?

Postby Jeff55 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi Jeff, What are your thoughts on this newly published study? https://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/ ... .2018-0267
Jeff55

Re: New Protein requirements?

Postby JeffN » Wed May 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Jeff55 wrote:Hi Jeff, What are your thoughts on this newly published study? https://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/ ... .2018-0267

Single studies do not matter. Let alone one that has no relevance to this population.

What matters is the body of evidence, put into proper context.

There are several threads, most kept updated, on protein.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56636

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52904

Here Are 2 articles I wrote...

https://hypnosishealthinfo.com/protein- ... ff-novick/

https://www.forksoverknives.com/contrib ... ff-novick/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jeff55 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:41 am

Very helpful, thanks!

Is there any place you write about the unique protein requirements of athletes, the timing of their protein consumption, necessary alterations in protein consumption during weight loss vs. weight gain/maintenance phases of training?

Can it be that an average person who cover 3 miles a week walking to the car and around the office has the same protein requirements as a long distance runner who is running 50-100 miles a week, weight training sessions, plus serious core workouts, etc., during the long-run phase of his training (which can stretch over 2-3 months)?

I am not asking whether a plant-based diet can meet the protein requirements of such athletes. I haven't seen a dissenting voice on that question.

I am interested in reading anything you have on protein consumption strategies for competitive athletes.
Jeff55

Postby JeffN » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 am

Jeff55 wrote:Is there any place you write about the unique protein requirements of athletes,

Yes. I used a competitive body builder as the example and it was easy to meet the "estimated" increased protein needs (which not everyone agrees with) through the same dietary recommendations.

The reason is, to be at these levels, they burn much more calories in their training, and therefore, have to eat much more in food/calories. This will also include more protein. If someone is eating 2000 calories and getting about 10% protein from our diet and wanted more and shifted it to eating more beans and raised it to 15%, they just increased their protein from 50 grams to 75 grams.

If they had to eat more due to increased training and went to 3000 calories, they are now getting 112.5 grams.

And that is at the low end as our diet can easily supply even 20% protein which would be 150 grams.

I will try and post it here later today

Jeff55 wrote:, the timing of their protein consumption, necessary alterations in protein consumption during weight loss vs. weight gain/maintenance phases of training? .

Jeff55 wrote:,I am interested in reading anything you have on protein consumption strategies for competitive athletes.

You may want to read my thread on the recommended amounts of exercise as I do not recommend anything over the 30-60 minutes a day of moderate exercise.

Jeff55 wrote:,>Can it be that an average person who cover 3 miles a week walking to the car and around the office has the same protein requirements as a long distance runner who is running 50-100 miles a week, weight training sessions, plus serious core workouts, etc., during the long-run phase of his training (which can stretch over 2-3 months)?.

The question is, can the same diet, adjusted to meet differing caloric needs, be adequate?

The answer is yes.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 am

Here is one of the articles

How Much Protein Do We Really Need?
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
2/10/2012

How much protein do we need and do we need to focus on concentrated sources of protein (protein powders, bars, supplements, etc) to get in enough?

This question was posed to me in regard to someone who is 220 lbs and engaging in regular weightlifting several times a week for several hours and besides focusing on consuming high protein foods, was adding in 100 grams of protein 2x a day. In addition, they were curious as to what happens to any excess protein.

In general, according to the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine,

"The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for both men and women is 0.80 g of good quality protein/kg body weight/d and is based on careful analysis of available nitrogen balance studies."

So, for someone who is 220 lbs, 220 lbs is 100 kgs. 100 x .8 - 80 grams of protein/day.

For those who are involved in higher levels of strength training, they may need a little more, even up to 1.25 to 1.5 grams/kg as recommended in the American Dietitic Association position paper on the topic;

"Protein recommendations for endurance and strength-trained athletes range from 1.2 to 1.7 g/kg body weight per day."

This would be the equivalent of 120 to 150 grams of total protein.

However, the key here, and one that is often overlooked, is to evaluate the amount of protein their regular diet is contributing.

Someone who weighs 220 lbs and is engaging in the level of activity mentioned, will need about 3000 calories per day or more. The average American diet is about 15-20% protein which means that from their diet alone, this person would be getting about 115 to 150 grams of protein.

And this is exactly what the ADA position papers says...

"These recommended protein intakes can generally be met through diet alone, without the use of protein or amino acid supplements."

So, in the situation above, their regular diet alone would provide more than enough protein and no extra protein would need to be consumed. Adding in 100 grams of protein 2x a day would bring the total protein to 315 to 350 grams per day, which is way more than excessive.

As you can see, the focus on "getting enough" protein, even in athletes, is often misplaced, as most are getting in more than enough protein from their diet. This is where the focus should be, to get our protein, and all of our nutrients, from our regular diets. To do so, focus on high quality protein foods that are also low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol such as beans, lentils and peas.

Now, in regard to your question about what happens to the excess protein, the body does not store excess protein and therefore must eliminate it. Over time, excessive amounts of protein can potentially put a strain on the kidneys, liver and our bones. In addition, excess protein can raise the levels of a hormone called IGF-1, which can stimulate the growth rate of certain cancers.

So, I would consider the above situation protein overload and as we see, this person would easily get enough protein from their regular diet and that is where the focus should be.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD