Iodine

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Iodine

Postby blair » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:09 am

Hello Jeff,

I'm a European vegan. How likely will I become iodine deficient if I do not supplement or eat seaweed? While I do consume salt from things like sauces, I do not knowingly consume iodized salt (it doesn't say it's iodized on the labels).

I know that iodine has been addressed here many times, but you're addressing mostly American vegans who are supposedly at lower risk of iodine deficiency.

Do you think those urine tests are even reliable for diagnosing a deficiency? Don't you find it interesting that despite some studies showing vegans can be iodine deficient, there aren't any studies conclusively showing they suffer thyroid disorders more frequently? Is it possible that our iodine needs are actually lower than the recommended 150mcg/day? I've read of some people who claim that iodine needs can be as low as 50mcg/day in healthy people and that the recommended intake of 150mcg is just based on estimations - Does that claim hold any weight? Is it possible that the decrease in cretinism and goiter is largely or partly down to the fact that people eat food from a variety of locations these days?

How much iodine do you actually think everyone needs to get? To my knowledge you haven't exactly stated that anywhere. Do you think people really need to consume iodized salt or seaweed?

Thank you very much in advance for any reply.
blair

Re: Iodine

Postby JeffN » Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 am

blair wrote:Hello Jeff,

I'm a European vegan. How likely will I become iodine deficient if I do not supplement or eat seaweed? While I do consume salt from things like sauces, I do not knowingly consume iodized salt (it doesn't say it's iodized on the labels).

I know that iodine has been addressed here many times, but you're addressing mostly American vegans who are supposedly at lower risk of iodine deficiency.

Do you think those urine tests are even reliable for diagnosing a deficiency? Don't you find it interesting that despite some studies showing vegans can be iodine deficient, there aren't any studies conclusively showing they suffer thyroid disorders more frequently? Is it possible that our iodine needs are actually lower than the recommended 150mcg/day? I've read of some people who claim that iodine needs can be as low as 50mcg/day in healthy people and that the recommended intake of 150mcg is just based on estimations - Does that claim hold any weight? Is it possible that the decrease in cretinism and goiter is largely or partly down to the fact that people eat food from a variety of locations these days?

How much iodine do you actually think everyone needs to get? To my knowledge you haven't exactly stated that anywhere. Do you think people really need to consume iodized salt or seaweed?

Thank you very much in advance for any reply.

RDI's, DRI's, AI's, etc., are not specific numbers people need to get every single day. They are recommendations based on averages based on population studies and have statistical buffers added in.

My discussions on iodine applies to Europeans who are eating healthy as well.

You can read the EFSA paper here

https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/do ... .2014.3660

The urine spot tests are not considered reliable.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD