Corn questions

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Corn questions

Postby vegman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Jeff,

To use whole grain ground and cooked dried corn as one's main starch staple, is nixtamalization necessary to avoid the risk of pellagra?

If it is necessary, to what extent can un-nixtamalized corn safely be eaten in a diet based upon other starches?

Thanks.
vegman

Re: Corn questions

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:47 am

I am not sure why you are asking me this questions because first, I don't recommend making corn (or any other single food) your main source of calories. Second, if you look under my guidelines, I recommend a variety of foods within the recommended food groups

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vegman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 am

One of your five pillars of healthy eating is: “Variety - Consume a variety of foods in each of the recommended food groups.” https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450

You also wrote, echoing Dr. McDougall and others: “Many cultures around the world have survived, (and even thrived) on very limited food supplies with very limited varieties of the foods. Not only the Okinawans and Chinese centenarians on mostly sweet potatoes but also the Tarahumara's & the Pima's in the Sierra Madre's Mountains of Mexico on corn and beans, the Papau of New Guinea, the Irish on potatoes, etc, And of course, the simple variety available to them changed somewhat over the course of the year.” https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8179 My impression is that traditional diets have had much more variety in vegetables and fruits than in starches.

I am gluten sensitive and for starches have been eating mostly potatoes, sometimes brown rice, quinoa and buckwheat. I am leery of rice due to arsenic.

I recently ground unpopped popcorn and made a nice polenta. I can get it for 1/3 the cost per calorie of potatoes, the cheapest other starch. I would like to eat a lot more of it, if I can do so safely. Home nixtamalization is too labor-intensive.

From what I’ve read, it seems reasonable to think that un-nixtamalized corn should not be a major part of one’s diet. If you have any input on this, I’d be interested.
vegman

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:18 am

Some of the variety in traditional cultures was also within foods like having dozens of varieties of potatoes or carrots, or apples, etc

Regular corn is served on a daily basis at the 10-day program as part of the variety of foods available. It is served plain on the salad bar and in many of the soups and entrees at lunch and dinner. It shows up in several breakfast entrees and in the daily options of dry cereals.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD