Hemoglobin

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hemoglobin

Postby LuckyToBeAlive » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:37 pm

Hello Jeff,

I've been eating Dr. Esselstyn's recommended diet since August 2012, ~97% compliant. Over this period of time--and not before this period of time--my hemoglobin has been declining steadily and gradually. My hemoglobin was measured a couple weeks before I started the diet at 153 g/l, right on the median (according to my lab report). In October 2018 my hemoglobin was 128 g/l. The lowest point of the so-called normal range is 135 g/l (again according to my lab report). My last three hemoglobin measurements--which spanned 2018--were all below normal, though October's 128 g/l is the lowest I've seen so far. A graph of the many hemoglobin measurements I've had over 2012-2018 depicts a gently but relentlessly downward sloping trend line. The situation has drawn my doc's attention, and further investigations are underway.

My ferritin levels over the past year have been in a range--albeit low in the range--that my lab report describes as "iron deficiency unlikely." According to Cronometer, I typically consume at least 16 mg (all plant-based) iron daily. And I'm cognizant of techniques to improve the absorption of the iron I eat (tannins--no; vitamin C--yes). I've always taken a B12 supplement since starting Dr. Ess's diet. More broadly, Cronometer is telling me that I do and have always done a good job of getting the vitamins, minerals, etc. that I need.

My question for you at last: Are you aware of any science indicating that "normal" hemoglobin levels for healthy people who eat similar to me may be lower than levels for the general population?

Finally, I feel fine, very good in fact. I think I have excellent stamina for a 62-year old, and that hasn't changed to my perception as my hemoglobin has gradually dropped. A bit of a mystery.

Thanks much.
LuckyToBeAlive

Re: Hemoglobin

Postby JeffN » Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 am

No, while there may be some minor differences in what different labs consider normal, there is no evidence that healthy vegans have lower then normal hemoglobin levels.

You really need to have this evaluated and reviewed with your doctor

This may be of value to you in the discussion

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics ... ncy-anemia

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD