What's the 'chunky sauce' at the end of the seminar?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What's the 'chunky sauce' at the end of the seminar?

Postby Hal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:27 am

What's the 'chunky sauce' at the very end of the seminar? It looks like i must try this idea. It looks like stewed tomatoes may be involved. If the recipe is in the video i missed it, sorry. if there is no recipe, what chunky sauce would you use?
As in Youtube video at 1:19:26
Eat More Weigh Less Live Longer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg
Great presentation BTW. Thanks.
Hal

Re: What's the 'chunky sauce' at the end of the seminar?

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:34 am

The comment was made while showing how to make a dish of plain pasta healthier (lower in calorie density and higher in satiety/cal) by turning it into a dish of pasta “primavera.”

The points made were...

- substituting non-starchy veggies for some of the pasta (up to 50% by visual volume).

- using a heathly tomato sauce (pasta, marinara, pomodora, etc) instead of oil or an oil-based one

- making the tomato sauce “chunky” instead of thin by adding chopped/diced veggies to the sauce

There is a before and after picture with an analysis of the difference

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: What's the 'chunky sauce' at the end of the seminar?

Postby Hal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Thanks, Jeff. Words like marinara, pomodora and primavara are new to me, a one time mostly burger fries pizza cheese choc-milk pastry cake guy, now a mostly potato wheat oats beans bananas kale guy (ATM) - however, a search on these new words comes up with lots of information. The only problem is i get hungry reading about it all. :)
Hal

Return to Jeff Novick, RD