Label reading lsit on your FB Page

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Label reading lsit on your FB Page

Postby jay kaye » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Jeff,

Is the information on your FB page regarding label reading still correct? Specifically I am referring to "Item 8" about and allowing some added oils/fats if they are polyunsaturated. I an under the impression that the current guidelines and recommendations, as to package or processes items, is strictly "no added Fats/Oils"

Link: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-nov ... 3112881818

Text:
"""Polyunsaturated fats (like safflower, soybean, corn, and sesame) and monounsaturated fats (such as olive and canola) are less harmful and would be acceptable, but make sure the percentage of calories from fat are still in line — 20 percent calories from fat or less........"

This is the link you have in your FAQ section of this board. If this list is not current can you please post a link to the correct list.

Thanks

J
jay kaye

Re: Label reading lsit on your FB Page

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:39 pm

That is not correct. Looks like a very old Pritikin version.

Here is one from a year earlier and is correct

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6059&p=41537#p41537

I am in the (slow) process of updating my website and all the article. The label reading has to be updated for the new labels that are starting to show up in the food supply and will be mandatory in another 2 years.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Here is a copy of the one that has been used at the McDougall Program for over 10 years.

JeffN

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:48 pm

JeffN wrote:Here is a copy of the one that has been used at the McDougall Program for over 10 years.

This is still helpful to have around, Jeff! However, I have ALWAYS wondered about Item 3.c.i.2. Did it ever exist, or is it only there to tantalize us?
:?:
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm

frozenveg wrote: This is still helpful to have around, Jeff! However, I have ALWAYS wondered about Item 3.c.i.2. Did it ever exist, or is it only there to tantalize us?
:?:

Over the years, the amount of terms approved by the FDA changed and so they were split up as some were pending waiting formal approval. Now, all those are approved.

I guess I never took out the “2.”

Good catch

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD