blood sugar spike blunted with resistant starch

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

blood sugar spike blunted with resistant starch

Postby JOJO1947 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 am

Jeff, I've read everything you say about resistant starch and love your detailed calculations showing how the effect is insignificant for weight loss.
Does the same hold true for effect of resistant starch on blood sugar?
Someone wrote "You can cook your white rice and refrigerate it for 24 hours. You may then reheat and eat. Doing this turns it into resistant starch (like beans) and it will not spike your blood sugar. If it does, it will be minimal."
There are several studies I looked at on PubMed which suggest resistant starch lessens the blood sugar spike, but I'm not an expert on analyzing studies. I know there are lots of rigged studies and the effects may be way less than the conclusion suggests.
Would appreciate your input on the resistant starch/blood sugar spike topic.

Thanks, JoAnn
JOJO1947

Re: blood sugar spike blunted with resistant starch

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:51 am

JOJO1947 wrote:Jeff, I've read everything you say about resistant starch and love your detailed calculations showing how the effect is insignificant for weight loss.
Does the same hold true for effect of resistant starch on blood sugar?

Yes.

100% the same. When you read my review of RS on the issue of weight, calories, etc, and then closely analyze the RS studies, you see the actual impact is still insignificant, if any. And, most of it is promoted by the food industry in a way to make the refined and highly processed junk food diet, somewhat healthier. It is a band-aid approach to health.

Your overall metabolic and endocrine health is not governed by any one food, good or bad, but your overall diet and lifestyle. The solution to our lifestyle related health concerns is not continuing to eat white rice but to eat it cold, it is to follow a diet based predominately on minimally processed plant foods that is lower in calorie density and lower in fat, sat fat, added sugars and added salt. I don't think the subjects in the studies done by Dr Ornish, Dr Esselstyn, Dr Barnard, Pritikin, Dr McDougall, etc would have better results if their starches were consumed cold. :)

However, we do know certain "foods" that are higher in soluble fiber, such as BYOBB (Beans, Yams, Oars, Barley and Berries), have been shown to help lower total cholesterol, LDL, VLDL, blood sugar and triglycerides. Several forum members have shared how during a consult I have asked them to shift their focus somewhat more to these foods at each meal (cold or not) :) and they have reported back benefits in the numbers mentioned. As one said, focusing on these actually just helped increase their adherence. :)

I would be much more interested in why someone is looking to refrigerate their white rice to improve their blood sugars. Most likely, if we look closer at their lifestyle, we will find there is room for improvement in their adherence to the basic principles.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: blood sugar spike blunted with resistant starch

Postby JOJO1947 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 am

Thanks Jeff for your quick response. Much appreciated! JoAnn
JOJO1947

Return to Jeff Novick, RD