Esselstyn's recommendations on greens [nitrates]

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Esselstyn's recommendations on greens [nitrates]

Postby secdroid » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:47 am

For those of us who are not cardiac patients, but have eaten the standard american diet for years, would there be any benefit from trying to emphasize high nitrate foods in the context of a standard McDougall diet or MWL diet?

Since the publication of his book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Dr. Esselstyn has frequently been cited emphasizing consumption of significant amounts of leafy greens:
Here is a concise list of Dr Esselstyn’s latest basic recommendations from a Facebook group you may want to join (‘Esselstyn Plan Recipe Sharing and Conversation’):...

Eat (chew) a fist-size (after cooking) serving of high nitrate veggies, with a few drops of balsamic vinegar or other vinegar, six times spaced throughout the day from breakfast to bedtime. This promotes the formation of nitric oxide (NO), the most powerful vasodilator we have, so arteries will dilate to their fullest. Esselstyn’s favorite 6 ‘greens’ for NO production are KALE, SPINACH, SWISS CHARD, ARUGULA, BEET GREENS, BEETS (yes, beets!) Dr. E also has a ‘greens’ jingle which mentions bok choy, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cilantro, parsley and asparagus.

Source -- https://www.foodasprevention.com/dr-ess ... endations/

What would your recommendation be for non-CVD patients following McDougall guidelines?

BTW, Esselstyn's guidelines would also likely be conducive to caloric restriction, simply due to the sheer quantity of food. :)
secdroid

Re: Esselstyn's recommendations on greens [nitrates]

Postby JeffN » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:07 am

I would recommend you read this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57748

And these links from it..

Eating greens and nitric oxide production
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44548

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? (Followup to "nitric oxide production")
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44556

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? Redux
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55369

How Much Kale Does It Really Take To Reach Nutrient Nirvana?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413

My look at the Eating Greens study on Okinawa Women that Dr Esselstyn quotes
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413#p377385

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby secdroid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the scientific citations and detailed explanations.

It turns out that I'm already eating far more vegetables than the Okinawans, although not as much as
Chef AJ (2#/day). :roll:

So, the answer is still to keep it simple.

I did find one bad link in a cited article on the http://www.jeffnovick.com page, although the point was clear
from the excerpt that followd the link --
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44548
...Second, while I think the intake of green leafy veggies and especially cruciferous veggies is important, and should be a regular part of our diet, I am not as enthusiastic in insisting it has to be 6x a day. :) I tried to clarify this here, with a recent interview with Dr Esselstyn on the subject...
http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/Entries/2013/8/29_Clarifying_the_Confusion__Dr_Esselstyn_Responds.html
secdroid

Postby JeffN » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm

secdroid wrote:I did find one bad link

Here you go

Clarifying the Confusion: Dr Esselstyn Responds
Thursday, August 29, 2013

QUESTION: “I recently read this interview and it seems like Dr Esselstyn is now saying to completely avoid all sugars. I also went to Plantstock where I thought he said boiling is the best way to cook kale. In addition, they served kale at every meal and in his talk, he said to make sure we are consuming 6 servings per day. Does this mean I have to eat 6 servings of kale a day? Lastly, in this interview, it seems like he is saying that for the best results in losing weight, avoid most all grains, cereals and potatoes. Are any of these true?”

ANSWER: In order to clarify these issues, I spoke with Dr Esselstyn and here are his responses to each one.

In regard to how to cook veggies and if boiling was the best way...

"Cook vegetables anyway you choose…steam, boil, steam-saute… Your choice. We find boiling kale and collards keeps them green and they cook faster. Places that serve kale to big groups boil it!"

In regard to eating "kale" 6x a day.

"I recommend greens (which includes broccoli, cauliflower, bok-choy, Swiss chard, kale, collards, beet greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Napa cabbage, Brussels, sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, cilantro, parsley, spinach, arugula, etc) 6 times a day for those specific people who have significant cardiovascular issues, especially angina. I have never said "kale" itself 6 times a day but "greens," as in the jingle. Six times a day is not for everyone though it would be good for everyone to include greens in their diets as much as possible. Not just a few spinach leaves."

In regard to eliminating potatoes, grains, cereals, etc for weight loss...

Dr Esselstyn meant that for those of you who are having trouble losing weight, to reduce or eliminate the calorie dense & more processed carbohydrates made from flour products like bread, bagels, crackers, dry cereals, etc and to focus more on the foods lower in calorie density. He completely & fully supports the inclusion of intact whole grains & potatoes (of all varieties) even for those needing to lose weight.

In regard to eliminating all sugars...

“I am surprised that so many have said that I was absolute. I would prefer that people know that eating sugar is something that has the potential to injure their endothelial cells, however, with that note of caution most people will sensibly restrict their sugar intake without having to regard it as absolute.

I have always been reticent to give any specific number or percentage, as eating should be spontaneous and not developed from a calculator. I want people to have the knowledge that fructose can injure and merely ask as a favor to their endothelial cells that they sensibly restrict it.”

Now, it is not for me to put words in his mouth or speak for him and he is not one to give a specific guideline, but the guideline I have always used when working with Pritikin, Dr McDougall and with Dr Esselstyn, is no more than 5% of calories. Now, the 5% is not a recommendation or a goal to achieve but a guideline for an acceptable maximum limit similar to the Tolerable Upper Limit. For those few who are very sensitive and find that at ~5% of calories, they still have high TG's or high blood sugars, then they may need to be more restrictive

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD