2% or less

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

2% or less

Postby ilovetodance » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi! I wanted to ask what your opinion is on items that say, contains 2% or less of: salt, soybean oil, barley flour, etc. Is it okay to still consume these products (since it only contains small traces of oil) if we are at a healthy weight? Thank you!
ilovetodance

Re: 2% or less

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 am

ilovetodance wrote:Hi! I wanted to ask what your opinion is on items that say, contains 2% or less of: salt, soybean oil, barley flour, etc. Is it okay to still consume these products (since it only contains small traces of oil) if we are at a healthy weight? Thank you!

Before evaluating any product, I would want to see the full product including the full ingredient list and the complete Nutrition Facts label.' Only then, could I answer

However, understand that we have a guideline for sodium that is based on the sodium in mg (which must be listed) and not where the source of sodium is listed in the ingredient list. The guideline for fat is also based on the percent of calories from fat, which we figure from the calories from fat or the grams of fat compared to the calories.

No oil means no oil

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD