question on how exercise improves health

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

question on how exercise improves health

Postby f00die » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:06 am

Hello Jeff,
ive been looking at these two threads
Exercise, The Exercise Paradox and You!
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
in the exercise paradox thread, they say
The surprising discovery that high levels of physical activity do not invariably result in elevated TEE and PAL 6, 7, 25-27 (Fig. 2) forces us to rethink the mechanisms by which exercise promotes health.

in how much exercise is enough, we find that light physical activity and even half the recommended physical activity are beneficial for health improvement.
this has me wondering if myokine release in response to muscular contraction may be the reason why exercise improves health?
given that the biggest improvements come from the move from sedentary to active vs. active to more active?
basically, a person needs a certain amount of circulating myokines for decent health, and sedentary people dont get enough?
i know you are not big on going into rabbit holes, but i was hoping you might have seen some evidence/research along these lines, or have some thoughts
thanks
f00die

Return to Jeff Novick, RD