Recommending diet to others - recs for meds?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Recommending diet to others - recs for meds?

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Quick question - please remove if this is already answered somewhere (did a look at hot topics and did a search and didn't find it).

How should I recommend the diet to those who may be on BP meds or other meds? Dr. McDougall often talks about decisions about taking people off meds in his intensive weekends and 10 day programs.

Do I simply say - talk to your doctor?
lucidguppy

Re: Recommending diet to others - recs for meds?

Postby JeffN » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:20 pm

lucidguppy wrote: How should I recommend the diet to those who may be on BP meds or other meds? Dr. McDougall often talks about decisions about taking people off meds in his intensive weekends and 10 day programs.

This is a very tricky situation as not everyone will get off all meds, let alone can they stop or reduce them immediately. That is why in our residential programs, there is ongoing medical supervision. In the course of the 10-day program, each person has 3 individual appointments with the doctor and we also have medical checks every morning.

Over the years, in the studies that were done that did not take place in a residential setting ((Esselstyn, Barnard, CHIP, etc), they subjects were recommended to stay in close contact with their regular MD, and to let them know that they are making intensive diet changes and they would like them to keep an eye on them. Those on medications for blood sugar and/or blood pressure may need to be monitored more closely as intensive changes in diet can cause the need for adjustments in the short term.

lucidguppy wrote:Do I simply say - talk to your doctor?

Yes. And to let their doctor know what the person is doing.

Since I am not a medical doctor, nor licensed to adjust medications, I do the same.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Recommending diet to others - recs for meds?

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Awesome many thanks!
lucidguppy

Return to Jeff Novick, RD