Question on 'Fast Food' Volume 1 DVD

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question on 'Fast Food' Volume 1 DVD

Postby Raquel1002 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:13 pm

1. The frozen veg selection in the grocery stores I’ve noticed don’t include some of my favorites like radishes and celery. Do you simply trust that you’re getting enough variety in the veg dept, by eating mostly what’s avail in the frozen section? (I also eat cucumber, sugar snap peas, and vinegar beets, all of which are readily accessible and not time consuming to prepare to eat.)

2. If I were to surrender my very time consuming and expensive food plan, for the five recipes in the DVD, I worry I'll get sick of eating the same thing. It appears that those 5 ingredients are all that you eat (grain, frozen veg, spices, beans, tomato base). Do you eat veggie burgers, non GMO corn chips, Veganaise Mayo, Myoko's butter, or Coconut Bliss brand, coconut ice cream? (I don't have any weight to lose.)

3. I blend frozen veg and greens for breakfast with Trader Joe veg juice and spices. If I were to have tomato as part of my b-fast, then again as the base to my lunch and dinner meal, do you think that's too much tomato? I've heard tomato leads to inflammation so am concerned about this.

Thanks! Very inspiring and I love the thought of simplifying because I am currently held captive by this routine of work, exercise, meal prep and clean up. That's my life. Very little time for hobbies or friendship. I'm healthy but at what cost if I have no life.
Raquel1002

Re: Question on 'Fast Food' Volume 1 DVD

Postby f1jim » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 am

I'm interested in Jeff's take on this, as well. I do note that several of us Star McDougallers have shared that our menus have gotten simpler the longer we have been on the program. We share that we fully enjoy our food and feel no urge to abandon our day to day meals. My personal day to day meals are very simple, easy and quick to fix dishes based around brown rice, potatoes, and legumes. If anything I love the food more today than when I started12 years ago.
I believe Dr. McDougall has commented that his diet has gotten simpler as the years go by.
What's your take Jeff and perhaps you could comment on your personal diet and how it's evolved over the years?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

There is an old saying, if you want to achieve success in something, find those that have years (if not decades)
of success at it already and find out what they did to achieve and maintain their success (and then go do it.)

When we do that for those who have maintained long term adherence and success on the McDougall program, what we find out is that they all keep it simple.

The SNAP meals are only an example of simplicity. You can live on them, or diversify and include them. You can use fresh, frozen and canned foods, fresh produce or both. Some people prefer to just “plate it up,” and follow the 50/50 guidelines, 50% of their plate (estimate by visual volume) to be non-starchy veggies and the other 50% to be starches.

Raquel1002 wrote:Do you simply trust that you’re getting enough variety in the veg dept, by eating mostly what’s avail in the frozen section?

I don’t only use frozen vegetables. The DVD’ is an example and a template. You can use it 100%, include it in with other meals or adapt it. I believe I make the comment in the video that, yes, when fresh produce is in season and inexpensive and you want to use, please do.

Also, if I buy the same bag of frozen grocery store brand broccoli, I am still getting variety as each week the product will be coming from different crops and areas around the country (maybe the world). Many of the longest lived populations live on the few foods in their environment.

On fozen vs fresh
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6056

On Nutrients, Variety, Quantity
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413

Raquel1002 wrote:I worry I'll get sick of eating the same thing. It appears that those 5 ingredients are all that you eat (grain, frozen veg, spices, beans, tomato base).

The meals I make are my favorites and I LOVE the food I eat and never get tired of it.

On variety and simplicity
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8179

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58019

Is there any pleasure in this?
https://www.facebook.com/notes/jeff-nov ... 192416818/

Get a Life!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57638

On Triage and Distracted Health
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42831&p=559686&#p457049

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7875

Raquel1002 wrote:Do you eat veggie burgers,

All the time. But only mine. Fast Food 2 is on veggie burgers and fries

Raquel1002 wrote:non GMO corn chips, Veganaise Mayo, Myoko's butter, or Coconut Bliss brand, coconut ice cream? (I don't have any weight to lose.)

I dont eat high calorie, high fat, high sat fat, vegan junk food and I dont have any weight to lose.

Dr McDougall on GMO’s

https://www.drmcdougall.com/2013/08/31/ ... straction/

Raquel1002 wrote:I blend frozen veg and greens for breakfast with Trader Joe veg juice and spices. If I were to have tomato as part of my b-fast, then again as the base to my lunch and dinner meal, do you think that's too much tomato? I've heard tomato leads to inflammation so am concerned about this.

I dont recommend liquid calories, or smoothies.

On Smoothies, Juices, Blended Foods
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5822

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26106

I would really encourage you to spend some time reading through this forum. The search function works very well and you can find an in-depth discussion on almost every topic.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Raquel1002 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:12 pm

Thank you so very much for your thoughtful and thorough replies! I will definitely read more of the forum so I can get more tips to help me through this process of simplifying my plant based food plan. I'm impressed that you don't eat any of my 'fun' foods like the vegan mayo, corn chips, Coconut Bliss ice cream, etc. I'm in terrific shape but must admit I have some belly fat that I'm sure would resolve were I to give up the above-stated foods (including dark chocolate!) Also, I'm sure there's some posts on 'To follow plant based on holidays, or enjoy what's served?' So I won't waste time asking here. I worked Thanksgiving and must admit coming home after and eating my plant based meal then waking up Friday w/o a full stomach or emotional hangover was nothing short of a true delight!
Jim - would you ever consider a phone session where I can ask you some extra q's given you're steeped in this way of eating/preparing food? If not no worries. [email protected]
Thanks again Jeff!!!
Raquel1002

Postby f1jim » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 pm

Sure, feel free to PM me anytime and ask away with any questions.
We are all in the same boat
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Raquel1002 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Jeff I wanted to thank you again for your responses, and for including all the links. (I've been focused on applying for a higher paying job so haven't had time to read the links but very much look forward to doing so!)

But in reading your responses again tonight, I'm really struck by your statement about how many cultures subsisted on very few foods in their environment. I hadn't ever thought of that before!! But so true! It's so interesting, having had a chronic 'mystery' illness (no known cause or cure) for the past 20 years, I've gotten swept up in the hype of 'you must eat variety', so here I am with so many vegetables, some of which are very time consuming to wash, cut, etc (radish and celery, two of my favorites, let alone peppers and onions). I tried one of my veg chili recipes with frozen veg and I must admit, it was fine! I needed more veg though, given the frozen took up less space. Hopefully this weekend I'll download the recipes from the DVD and try one of yours. I'm going to forgo the spices and try it with bullion given the spices get kind of expensive! But the bottom line is I think I'm eating too many vegetables. If that's not possible, then I'm eating more than my body needs. I spend close to $400/month on grocery from regular grocery store, not including WF, TJ, and Cotsco. And I'm only one person. I eat small amounts of protein and mostly veg and whole grain. But if i really don't need all that variety - what a relief. It's hard to let go my routine-despite how held captive I am-but I see freedom on the other side. I think small, baby steps in that direction is how it's going to work for me, like replacing fresh with frozen for soups.

I also look forward to reading the link on liquid food. I read once that so long you make chewing gestures when drinking your smoothie, then it digests ok cuz the chewing motion releases the digestive enzymes that you miss otherwise. I must admit i don't really enjoy the taste of m smoothie (veg juice, greens, frozen veg, small amount of spice) but it feels good to have that be the first thing that enters my belly in the morning. I read somewhere that eating veg first, before the protein and grain and fruit, helps everything assimilate and digest better. Not sure if this is accurate or not.

Glad I have this support. I literally know no one on a plant based in my circle of friends and family, other than my brother who lives across the country. So I'm totally going it alone here which is why I'm really enjoying reaching out with q's and getting support. I know this is the 'right' way, but it's so easy to loosen up when it seems 'normal' to eat food like substances, especially around the holidays. I tell people about What the Health, Forks Over Knives, etc but so far, no one has gotten the bug but me. Hopefully this'll change at some point. Thanks again for sharing your expertise!!
Raquel1002

Postby Raquel1002 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:58 pm

Jim what does 'PM' me mean? Sorry, I'm not all that tech savey.
Raquel1002

Postby f1jim » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:01 am

PM= Personal Message. The board here allows one to send a personal message to any other member. You will notice a PM button under the posters name on any message they post. This is helpful if you don't wish to make the message public.
f1jim
f1jim

Return to Jeff Novick, RD