oxidized fat

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

oxidized fat

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am

Hi Jeff, I thought that when losing weight, fat was oxidized and the byproducts were ATP, CO2 and H2O. Someone recently said when people lose weight. the fat goes into the arteries so temporarily their LDL will go up. Would you please comment? Thanks JoAnn
JOJO1947

Re: oxidized fat

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:55 am

Is the reason for this that the fat (in some form) goes from the fat cells to the muscle cells?
JOJO1947

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:06 am

Sometimes, not very often, when people first go on the program, we see a small and transient rise in some blood lipids. Most often when they are overly restricting their intake. This passes quickly with continued adherence. The majority of the time, we saw a fairly quick drop in lipids and in general, the data is pretty clear, losing weight causes an improvement in the lipid panel.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks Jeff. Just for a better understanding, does the fat get oxidized in both the fat cells and muscle cells? JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm

JOJO1947 wrote:Thanks Jeff. Just for a better understanding, does the fat get oxidized in both the fat cells and muscle cells? JoAnn

Are you asking, when you lose weight/fat, where does the fat come from?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:24 pm

I figured it comes from many places, but primarily from fat cells in the belly, around organs, etc - even the fat in the muscle cells.

My question is really why there would be actual fat of some sort, like triglycerides, in the bloodstream when losing weight if it's not traveling to muscle cells to be oxidized? If it was oxidized in the fat cells, I didn't figure you'd see the actual fat in the bloodstream.
Because the oxidized fat results in CO2, O2 and water. JoAnn
JOJO1947

Postby JeffN » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:57 pm

OK, I see the problem in our discussion.

While it may happen during weight/fat loss, it is not the fat, per see, that is driving the LDL up.

The reason it may occur is that during weight loss, triglycerides go down. VLDL is the main carrier of triglycerides which are also the precursor to LDL. Therefore when triglycerides go down (which is a good thing) VLDLs shrink and become LDLs which may go up (usually in those that may have a genetic tendency).

As I mentioned, most people who’s triglycerides go down have LDL go down as well. Sometimes LDL goes up but as I said, it is usually not by much and usually transient. Even so, the total particle and lipid burden is decreased but it appears as increased LDL when the VLDL “moves over,” so to speak. If they can achieve and maintain a significant weight reduction and a healthy diet and lifestyle (minimally processed, low fat, low sat fat, high fiber, etc., etc,) it will improve.

The appearance of this (lowered triglycerides and increased LDL) is more common using an unhealthy low carb approach, and in those cases it’s more likely from the saturated fat inhibiting LDL receptors.

Does that make sense now?

In Health
Jeff

PS is your question because you are in a debate over this?
JeffN

Postby JOJO1947 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Thank you Jeff. I really appreciate your taking the time to explain.

A friend started on the McDougall diet after a few months on Keto, and her triglycerides, TC and LDL all went up. After a couple of months on McDougall, the weight was coming off, but she was alarmed about the lipid profile.

To my knowledge, she was eating just starches, non starchy veggies and around 3 servings of fruit. (Of course you never know what people do by themselves in the kitchen.)

The loss of fat is a multi-faceted complicated process and not easily understood. I never paid much attention to it as I was never very heavy. Lost some after going on the McDougall plan, but at 5'2" 102lb I don't think about fat a lot. No matter how much I eat of whole food starches, NS veggies, a little fruit and very occasional processed whole grains like pita bread or corn tortillas, I stay the same.

Thanks again! Love all your posts and share them frequently. :)
JOJO1947

Return to Jeff Novick, RD