oil for skincare

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

oil for skincare

Postby Mom+Me » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

Hello Jeff,

I saw a few videos last year by a woman who was attending the 10-day Program with her mom. I remember her mentioning your saying how bad coconut oil was, even when used on the skin. I completely believe that all oil is bad when taken internally.

Many times I have tried to use face creams that are either oil-free or contain small amounts of oil. They just have not been nourishing enough and leave my skin feeling tight and dry, thus seemingly leading to greater aging. Yet, when I use either pure oil on my face (argan or rosehip), or face creams containing high amounts of oil (sometimes containing shea butter, cocoa butter, or coconut in addition to containing argan, etc.), they leave my skin feeling very soft and help in lessening of wrinkles.

Is it harmful to use oil externally? If so, why...can it raise our cholesterol, etc.? :shock:

Thank you very much!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Re: oil for skincare

Postby JeffN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:57 am

JeffN

Re: oil for skincare

Postby Mom+Me » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Whoops...I apologize for not thanking you for your reply until now. I just re-checked this category of the Board and saw it. Thank you! I'm finding the link a very interesting read + will continue to read all the posts and contained links. I really appreciate your responding, Jeff; thank you!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to Jeff Novick, RD