Elimination diet and varieties of same food

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Elimination diet and varieties of same food

Postby jamietwo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Jeff,

I'm following your elimination diet protocol outlined here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48950. I chose to start with one food (brown rice), and last night I added kale.

My question is do I have to test each variety of kale individually, or can I assume that red curly kale will be the same as green curly kale or dinosaur kale? Same question applies to varieties of sweet potatoes, etc.

Thank you!
Jamie
jamietwo

Re: Elimination diet and varieties of same food

Postby JeffN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 am

jamietwo wrote:Hi Jeff,

I'm following your elimination diet protocol outlined here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48950. I chose to start with one food (brown rice), and last night I added kale.

My question is do I have to test each variety of kale individually, or can I assume that red curly kale will be the same as green curly kale or dinosaur kale? Same question applies to varieties of sweet potatoes, etc.

Thank you!

The odds are against it but yes, it is possible to react to different varieties of foods.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jamietwo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 am

Thanks Jeff. Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks! :)
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby jamietwo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Jeff, this is another somewhat related question. If "someone" has reacted to two cruciferous vegetables (kale and broccoli), are "they" more likely to react to other cruciferous vegetables (such as collard greens or cabbage) than to a non-cruciferous vegetable?
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby JeffN » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am

Yes

I would save cruciferous for a while. Many people have trouble digesting them and they can be reactive

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby jamietwo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you!
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Jeff Novick, RD