Nutritional Yeast Question

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nutritional Yeast Question

Postby auntemmy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:13 am

I've been reading about using nutrional yeast as a cheese substitute among other things. What's the story? Is it good for you? Should I buy it?
~Emmy

What's taters, precious?
Po-ta-toes? Boil 'em. mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew?
auntemmy

Re: Nutritional Yeast Question

Postby JeffN » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:55 pm

auntemmy wrote:I've been reading about using nutrional yeast as a cheese substitute among other things. What's the story? Is it good for you? Should I buy it?

Hi Aunt Emmy

Nutritional yeast is often used by vegans and vegetarians because it is thought to be a good source of B vitamins and protein and some think of it as a good source of B12 and as you mentioned, it is also often used as a cheese substitute in some recipes. Some people even use it in a shaker as a Parmesan cheese substitute.

There is only one (or maybe two) versions of it that may actually have B12 added to them, but I do not consider it a reliable source of B12 due to other issues involved in the way it is handled.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22533

I do not think it is a necessary addition to the diet as a healthy diet is not deficient in B vitamins or protein.

However, if you find it useful in some recipes, use it sparingly as a condiment.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD