(Almost) Instant Soup

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

(Almost) Instant Soup

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:57 am

In several threads, I have discussed the dehydrated foods I keep on hand for emergency reasons (and occasional use)...

Backpacking Food Ideas (with links to my faviorite sources of dehydrated foods)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6207#p42729

Emergency Foods
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56448&#p569951

Veggies with a Shelf Life (with a version of my Fast Food Soup with dehydrated vegetables)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44693&p=461152

Recentlhy I had a post on Raw Salads vs Cooked soups which led to a few discussions on the topic. I was glad to see seceral of you incorporating my recommendation for including vegetbles soups as an alternative to raw salads and understanding the nutritional adequacy, simplicity, ease and the cost savings of them.

So, I wanted to share my favorite recipe using 100% dehydrated foods that can be prepared very quickly. My wife and I always make a large batch when we make it so we always have some around. This is also the very recipe we used during the last Hurricane. Feel free to cut it in half or by 1/4 if the recipe is too large. We also may split the amount of dehydrated lentils with dehydrated sweet potatoes and/or just add in a 1/2 -1 cup dehydrated sweet potatoes to the recipe.

1.5 cup dehydrated (not dry) lentils
4 cups dehydrated vegetables. (Some of my favorites are carrots, onions, broccoli and green beans)
1 gallon of water

- Place all ingredients in a 6 -8 qt pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer 10-20 minutes.
- Adjust water to make it thinner or thicker as desired.
- Add desired herbs, spices to taste.

The calories of the recipe as listed is about 1000 (depending on the vegetables used) and the weight is about 4,000 grams make the soup about 110-125 calories per pound.

Enjoy
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD