animal protein vs plant protein

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

animal protein vs plant protein

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Jeff,

Just read an article by T. Colin Campbell...….. "For over a century, compelling evidence (in rabbit experiments) showed very specifically that animal-based protein, was MORE effective than dietary cholesterol in raising blood cholesterol and causing ‘heart disease.’ Later, evidence, both in animal and human studies showed that this protein effect on blood cholesterol and early atherogenesis (cardiovascular disease) referred to animal-based protein, not plant-based protein. In short, animal-based protein is more hazardous than lipids (cholesterol and fatty acids)

I know eating animal foods result in formation of TMAO and increased IGF-1. I know we need the fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants etc. from plants. I know some amino acids like methionine are too high in animal protein.

My questions: "What exactly is the difference is the animal and plant amino acids other than percentage? Is the actual leucine or cystine molecule different in animal protein than plant protein?"

Thanks! JoAnn
JOJO1947

Re: animal protein vs plant protein

Postby JeffN » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:20 am

JOJO1947 wrote:>>"What exactly is the difference is the animal and plant amino acids other than percentage? Is the actual leucine or cystine molecule different in animal protein than plant protein?"

Differing ratio's of amino acid's is the main difference between the two protein molecules

The other huge difference is the package they come in because we eat foods, not macronutrients.

The package minimally processed plants comes in is usuallly rich in fiber, phytonutrients, etc

The package animal protein comes in is usually rich in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, lacking in fiber, phytonutrients, etc

In regard to Colin's comments, which I disagree with, here are a few articles. In the first one, he even posted a reply.

Reductionism vs Wholism
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57085

Should Animal Foods Be Considered Incomplete?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44791

Animal Protein vs Saturated Fat
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56104

Does Animal Protein Raise Cholesterol
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47578

Remember we are not mice, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, etc. While any experiment in animals is interesting, in the end, there is no direct relevance. Especially when studies on the same topic have been done on humans. As I show in the first link, the best evidence we have points to saturated fat, not protein as the primary driver, even if we use the studies he references.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: animal protein vs plant protein

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks so much for clarifying Jeff. Much appreciated! JoAnn
JOJO1947

Return to Jeff Novick, RD