Is romaine lettuce safe yet?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is romaine lettuce safe yet?

Postby spinner » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi Jeff,
I've been eating iceburg lettuce and spinach salads but really miss romaine. I ask my grocer and am told that the romaine they are selling is from CA, not AZ, but I'm not sure if I trust that information. Do you feel that it's safe to eat romaine lettuce now that it's mid June? Thanks!
spinner

Re: Is romaine lettuce safe yet?

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 am

According to the CDC, all the romaine on the shelves today should be safe.

We are serving it at the 10-Day this week

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Yum! Thank you!
spinner

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 am

Latest E. Coli Outbreak Is Over; Consumer Reports Says It's Safe to Eat Romaine Lettuce

https://www.consumerreports.org/e-coli/ ... tuce-over/

One of the nation's deadliest E. coli outbreaks is over, the government advised Thursday, and Consumer Reports says it's now safe to eat romaine lettuce again.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says consumers shouldn't find contaminated romaine in stores or restaurants at this point.

“Based on all available evidence at this time, we believe there is no longer a risk of illness from consuming romaine lettuce,” says James E. Rogers, Ph.D., Consumer Reports director of food safety.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD