Frozen conveyor-belt of bulk meals - Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Frozen conveyor-belt of bulk meals - Redux

Postby geo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:04 am

How well do SNAP style meals freeze? how do you store them? in plastic containers? and how long will they freeze for?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: Frozen conveyor-belt of bulk meals - Redux

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:53 am

geo wrote:How well do SNAP style meals freeze? how do you store them? in plastic containers? and how long will they freeze for?

To be honest, I rarely freeze them because my wife I don’t need a lot of vaerity. So, we usually make a 2-3x batch of a meal, and then eat just that for 2-3 days, which is easily long enough for them to last in the fridge. Then, we just repeat the process.

However, yes, they freeze well. You can store them in freezer safe varieties of Tupperware, glass, or even plastic bags. We use Pyrex and Ball mason jars (which I use when I cook large batches of beans from scratch). The general rule of thumb is that frozen food usually lasts about 3 months.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby geo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Thanks Jeff.

I wasn't sure since I use so many frozen veggies whether they would stand up to be frozen again after already having been frozen and then thawed, cooked and then refrozen. This will definitely be helpful for me.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby JeffN » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

geo wrote:Thanks Jeff.

I wasn't sure since I use so many frozen veggies whether they would stand up to be frozen again after already having been frozen and then thawed, cooked and then refrozen. This will definitely be helpful for me.

You have to experiment as clearly somethings hold up better then others. Thicker cuts and less water content seem to do better (ie, cauliflower vs onions)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD