calorie density of meat

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

calorie density of meat

Postby JOJO1947 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi Jeff,
I was showing someone the calorie density chart and they wanted to know the calorie density of meat.
I checked Cronometer, plugged in 453 grams of skinless chicken breast, and got 783 calories.
Got 725 calories for a pound of sirloin.

I would have thought it would be more.
Are those figures correct?

Thanks. JoAnn
JOJO1947

Re: calorie density of meat

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:34 pm

JOJO1947 wrote:Hi Jeff,
I was showing someone the calorie density chart and they wanted to know the calorie density of meat.
I checked Cronometer, plugged in 453 grams of skinless chicken breast, and got 783 calories.
Got 725 calories for a pound of sirloin.

I would have thought it would be more.
Are those figures correct?

Thanks. JoAnn

If you plug in 454 grams of an item as consumed (cooked, skinless, peeled, etc) then you will get the correct number.

I don’t put any animal products in my calorie density charts because I dont recommend them. The one example I do use is “fatty steak as served in a restaurant” at ~1000 cal/lb. Understand that the calorie density of even that can vary depending on the cut, the trim and the cooking method.

Very lean animal food that is mostly water and protein and conservatively cooked without fat (steamed, boiled, etc) will have a lower calorie density. As the amount of fat in the food goes up and the amount of water goes down, the calorie density goes up.

Yes, there are several animal products that can be fairly very in calorie density. Some are even fairly high in nutrient density. You can see the calorie density of a few here in this Pritikin chart

https://www.pritikin.com/your-health/he ... ories.html

Cooked flounder is 380. Egg whites are about 230.

That doesn’t make any of these foods healthy, just low in calorie density :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: calorie density of meat

Postby JOJO1947 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:23 am

Jeff, appreciate your quick response. Thanks JoAnn
JOJO1947

Return to Jeff Novick, RD