acronyms

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

acronyms

Postby landog » Thu May 24, 2018 3:34 pm

IF, FMD, ADF, TRE, RCT's, TN, TN IRB, NH :eek:

huh? :D

Thanks,
- dog

JeffN wrote:Thanks

I get that IF and all its variations (FMD, ADF, TRE, etc) are getting lots or attention, but attention doesn't equal evidence. Neither does being hyped by "doctors."

If you would like a review, I keep my thread on IF updated including 2 recent RCT's on it.

Remember, most of the benefits being claimed for IF (and all its variations) aren't anything you don't already achieve by following a healthy diet and lifestyle as recommended here. Most of the studies are public and you can go and review the actual numbers yourself.

To prove its real value, the comparison must be done on those following very healthy diets (ie, 100 people following a diet as I recommend with 50 adding in FMD and 50 without FMD).

In Health
Jeff

PS For the record, I work behind the scenes with TN and we are working on some studies with Longo. I was on the TN IRB but stepped down because from my perspective, I think it creates a conflict of interest. I am still not impressed with IF but maybe, one day, that will change. However, having been involved with the NH movement for many decades, who were proponent of regular fasting (ie, 1 day a week, 3 day a month, 7 days once a season, extended fast once a year), I doubt it will prove superior to what we are already doing. I think my colleague Jay Kenney's comments in my last IF post in my IF thread are very applicable.
landog

Re: acronyms

Postby JeffN » Thu May 24, 2018 3:41 pm

>>>>IF, FMD, ADF, TRE, RCT's, TN, TN IRB, NH

Intermittent fasting
Fasting mimicking diet
Alternate day fasting
Time restricted eating
Randomized controlled trials
True North
True Norths Institutional review board
Natural hygiene