review restricted to only 2 references published before 2012

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

review restricted to only 2 references published before 2012

Postby trotskyite » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:08 pm

Was surprised to see Kevin Hall PhD mention, on twitter, that his new journal article "Low-carbohydrate diets for the treatment of obesity and type 2 diabetes" was restricted to only 2 references published before 2012.
https://twitter.com/KevinH_PhD/status/9 ... 9266383872

Interested to hear your take on this? Does it distort the science or are they right to do this?

https://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnut ... 99223.aspx
trotskyite

Re: review restricted to only 2 references published before

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 pm

I am not familiar with the Journal's publishing guidelines, but I don't know him as a person who would lie. If they do it, it may be to prevent using outdated references, which from my perspective, science isn't time dated, it is a product of accumluated knowledge over time.

However, I saw the study and don't see anything impressive about it or anything that would influence what I do or my approach.

Here are the key points.

KEY POINTS
Low-carbohydrate diets are at least as effective for weight loss as other diets.

Glycemic control and hyperinsulinemia are improved by low-carbohydrate diets, but insulin sensitivity and glucose-stimulated insulin secretion may be impaired, especially in the absence of weight loss.

Fasting lipid parameters are generally improved, but postprandial hyperlipemia is a potential concern given the high fat content typical of low-carbohydrate diets.

Low-carbohydrate diets have several potential benefits for treatment of obesity and type 2 diabetes, but more research is required to better understand their long-term consequences as well as the variable effects on the endocrine control of glucose, lipids, and metabolism.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD