lowering blood pressure - greens?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

lowering blood pressure - greens?

Postby landog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:57 am

Hi Jeff,

You recently commented about blood pressure guidelines: https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57369

In this thread you said: "If you are WFPB/vegan and have a BP of 135/85, you are not risk free because of your diet. You still have work to do."

Your comments have had me taking a closer look at making adjustments to my diet.

I've also been considering the advice from Dr. Esselstyn which you published here: http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/Entries/2013/8/29_Clarifying_the_Confusion__Dr_Esselstyn_Responds.html. In particular, his advice to include greens in our diet as much as possible.

I've been tracking my BP numbers, and recently noticed lower readings about a half an hour or so after I had eaten spinach, broccoli and cauliflower. I was wondering if perhaps there was a cause and effect relationship here.

Are you were aware of any science supporting a benefit of including greens in your diet for cardiovascular health?

Thanks for all your help!
-dog
landog

Re: lowering blood pressure - greens?

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 am

landog wrote: In this thread you said: "If you are WFPB/vegan and have a BP of 135/85, you are not risk free because of your diet. You still have work to do.”

Your comments have had me taking a closer look at making adjustments to my diet.

I think one area that often needs much closer scrutiny is salt consumption. Salt is ubiquitous and well hidden in the diet, even in my WFPB/Vegan foods, not just junk foods.

landog wrote:I've also been considering the advice from Dr. Esselstyn which you published here: http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/Entries/2013/8/29_Clarifying_the_Confusion__Dr_Esselstyn_Responds.html.

In particular, his advice to include greens in our diet as much as possible.

I've been tracking my BP numbers, and recently noticed lower readings about a half an hour or so after I had eaten spinach, broccoli and cauliflower. I was wondering if perhaps there was a cause and effect relationship here.

Are you were aware of any science supporting a benefit of including greens in your diet for cardiovascular health?

Thanks for all your help!
-dog

Eating greens and nitric oxide production
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44548

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? (Followup to "nitric oxide production")
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44556

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? Redux
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55369

How Much Kale Does It Really Take To Reach Nutrient Nirvana?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413

My look at the Eating Greens study on Okinawa Women that Dr Esselstyn quotes
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413#p377385

I hope this helps
Jeff
JeffN

Postby landog » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm

JeffN wrote:I think one area that often needs much closer scrutiny is salt consumption. Salt is ubiquitous and well hidden in the diet, even in my WFPB/Vegan foods, not just junk foods.

Thank you, Jeff

I have been eating only unprocessed or minimally processed foods for a couple of months, MWL-style. I stopped adding table salt to my foods during this time (about six weeks ago).

I noticed during a recent lab test that they tested my sodium level. Do you know if sodium is retained in the body for a long time? Should changes in salt intake should have an effect on blood pressure quickly?

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby JeffN » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:00 pm

landog wrote:
JeffN wrote:I think one area that often needs much closer scrutiny is salt consumption. Salt is ubiquitous and well hidden in the diet, even in my WFPB/Vegan foods, not just junk foods.

Thank you, Jeff

I have been eating only unprocessed or minimally processed foods for a couple of months, MWL-style. I stopped adding table salt to my foods during this time (about six weeks ago).

I noticed during a recent lab test that they tested my sodium level. Do you know if sodium is retained in the body for a long time? Should changes in salt intake should have an effect on blood pressure quickly?

Thanks,
-dog

Serum sodium is usually not impacted by dietary sodium. For many, it is just a case of too much (or too little) water

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=26203&p=261478#p261478

While we often see quick results, sometimes, it takes some time. We have had forum members who took a few weeks to months to see the impact

I am not sure what you mean by "minimally processed" but if anything is coming in a box, package, bag, etc, just double check to be sure.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby landog » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:30 am

Thanks for all your help, Jeff.

I have enough foods rich in nitrates. More is not better!

See you in June...
landog

Return to Jeff Novick, RD