To Weigh or Not To Weigh?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

To Weigh or Not To Weigh?

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:47 pm

To Weigh or Not To Weight?

Should you weight every day, once a week, every other week, once a month or never?

First, let’s look at some of the recent review studies on the topic.

Is self-weighing an effective tool for weight loss: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis.
Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015 Aug 21;12:104. doi: 10.1186/s12966-015-0267-4.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26293454

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
There is a need to identify effective behavioural strategies for weight loss. Self-weighing may be one such strategy.

PURPOSE:
To examine the effectiveness of self-weighing for weight loss.

METHODS:
A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials that included self-weighing as an isolated intervention or as a component within an intervention. We used sub groups to analyse differences in frequency of weighing instruction (daily and weekly) and also whether including accountability affected weight loss.

RESULTS:
Only one study examined self-weighing as a single strategy and there was no evidence it was effective (-0.5 kg 95 % CI -1.3 to 0.3). Four trials added self-weighing/self-regulation techniques to multi-component programmes and resulted in a significant difference of -1.7 kg (95 % CI -2.6 to -0.8). Fifteen trials comparing multi-component interventions including self-weighing compared with no intervention or minimal control resulted in a significant mean difference of -3.4 kg (95 % CI -4.2 to -2.6). There was no significant difference in the interventions with weekly or daily weighing. In trials which included accountability there was significantly greater weight loss (p = 0.03).

CONCLUSIONS:
There is a lack of evidence of whether advising self-weighing without other intervention components is effective. Adding self-weighing to a behavioural weight loss programme may improve weight loss. Behavioural weight loss programmes that include self-weighing are more effective than minimal interventions. Accountability may improve the effectiveness of interventions that include self-weighing

Self-weighing in weight management interventions: A systematic review of literature.
Obes Res Clin Pract. 2016 Sep - Oct;10(5):493-519. doi: 10.1016/j.orcp.2016.01.004. Epub 2016 Feb 17.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26896865

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Self-weighing increases a person's self-awareness of current weight and weight patterns. Increased self-weighing frequency can help an individual prevent weight gain. Literature, however, is limited in describing variability in self-weighing strategies and how the variability is associated with weight management outcomes.

AIM:
This review analyzed self-weighing in weight management interventions and the effects of self-weighing on weight and other outcomes.

METHODS:
Twenty-two articles from PubMed, CINAHL, Medline, PsychInfo, and Academic Search Premier were extracted for review.

RESULTS:
These 22 articles reported findings from 19 intervention trials, mostly on weight loss or weight gain prevention. The majority of the reviewed articles reported interventions that combined self-weighing with other self-monitoring strategies (64%), adopted daily self-weighing frequency (84%), and implemented interventions up to six months (59%). One-half of the articles mentioned that technology-enhanced or regular weight scales were given to study participants. Of the articles that provided efficacy data, 75% of self-weighing-only interventions and 67% of combined interventions demonstrated improved weight outcomes. No negative psychological effects were found.

CONCLUSIONS:
Self-weighing is likely to improve weight outcomes, particularly when performed daily or weekly, without causing untoward adverse effects. Weight management interventions could consider including this strategy.

Self-weighing in weight management: a systematic literature review.
Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015 Feb;23(2):256-65. doi: 10.1002/oby.20946. Epub 2014 Dec 17.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25521523

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:
Regular self-weighing, which in this article is defined as weighing oneself regularly over a period of time (e.g., daily, weekly), is recommended as a weight loss strategy. However, the published literature lacks a review of the recent evidence provided by prospective, longitudinal studies. Moreover, no paper has reviewed the psychological effects of self-weighing. Therefore, the objective is to review the literature related to longitudinal associations between self-weighing and weight change as well as the psychological outcomes.

METHODS:
Electronic literature searches in PubMed, Ovid PsycINFO, and Ebscohost CINAHL were conducted. Keywords included overweight, obesity, self-weighing, etc. Inclusion criteria included trials that were published in the past 25 years in English; participants were adults seeking weight loss treatment; results were based on longitudinal data.

RESULTS:
The results (N=17 studies) revealed that regular self-weighing was associated with more weight loss and not with adverse psychological outcomes (e.g., depression, anxiety). Findings demonstrated that the effect sizes of association between self-weighing and weight change varied across studies and also that the reported frequency of self-weighing varied across studies.

CONCLUSIONS:
The findings from prospective, longitudinal studies provide evidence that regular self-weighing has been associated with weight loss and not with negative psychological outcomes.

Second, let’s look at what the The National Weight Control Registry found, which has published several studies of the habits of those who have successfully lost weight and maintained it for over 10 years. There is no other data that comes close to this. Remember, success leaves clues.

http://www.nwcr.ws/default.htm

“The NWCR is tracking over 10,000 individuals who have lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for long periods of time. Detailed questionnaires and annual follow-up surveys are used to examine the behavioral and psychological characteristics of weight maintainers, as well as the strategies they use to maintaining their weight losses.

- Registry members have lost an average of 66 lbs and kept it off for 5.5 years
- Weight losses have ranged from 30 to 300 lbs
- Duration of successful weight loss has ranged from 1 year to 66 years
- 75% weigh themselves at least once a week.”

Third, let’s look at what we actually do at the 10-Day McDougall Program.

All participants are weighted at least 3x a week. Most of them are weighted on their first or second day there (when they first see the doctor), then about half way though the program (when they have their follow up visit with the doctor), and then on the day before the last day (when they have their final visit with the doctor). In some situations, like a change in medication, we may weigh a patient every day.

Lastly, let’s look at what I have said here in these forums since showing up here..

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6032&p=41422#p41422

If we need to lose weight, then we can shift our overall calorie density down by focusing on and including more foods lower in calorie density and limiting the higher calorie dense foods. If we need to gain some weight, then we can do the opposite and include more higher calorie dense healthy foods. Of course, we can also adjust activity levels to coincide with our food intake and our goals.

Check your scale on a 1x weekly basis and see how you are doing. Adjust accordingly.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9962&p=75688&#p75688

I would also recommend against weighing one self anymore than 1x a week while losing weight because weight can fluctuate so much during weight loss for so many reasons and many can get disappointed when they see these fluctuations. So, while losing weight, I recommend weighing 1x week on the same day, on the same scale, at the same time with early morning right after awakening and right after voiding as the best time and way.

For those who still want to weight daily, I recommend they do a 7-10 day rolling average (as they use in finance and stocks) to help smooth out the curve of any fluctuations. However, once goal weight is achieved, I do recommend more frequent weighing (2-4x per week), even daily weighing if someone wanted as it is important to nip any weight gain in the butt before it gets out of hand.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11186&p=90024&#p90024

The human body naturally can change several pounds a day in weight from water balance alone. This is not fat or muscle weight. This is why if you choose to micro-manage your weight and weigh yourself very frequently, you may see fluctuations that have nothing to do with changes in fat and/or muscle. Weight yourself before going to bed, and then weight youself in the morning when you wake up. You may see a 2-5 lb difference. :) I have seen the actual weight of someone change around 20 lbs in a day just from changes in fluid balance. Granted it was a very large person on a very hot summer day who had been working out all day in the sun. This is also why I do not recommend anyone weigh themselves more than 1x a week when losing weight and when they do weight themselves to do it on the same scale at the same time of the day wearing the same clothes. Weighing yourself naked in the early morning after voiding is the best and most accurate weight

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11464&p=92677&#p92677

I agree. Though, I think there is some benefit in weighing yourself occasionally while losing weight as it will give you some marker as to your progress. And, in spite of all the theories and methods people try to use to monitor how they are doing, the scale is the simplest and easiest tool and method. However, over weighing oneself is not a good idea due to all the above issues I mentioned.

I think once a week at most is more than enough to weigh oneself. It gives enough time between weighing where the daily issues/fluctuations won;t matter and where one can see some progress.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44423&p=458079&#p458079

The best time to weigh oneself is first thing in the morning, upon arising, without clothes, right after voiding and on the same scale.

While losing weight, I would recommend no more than 1x a week due to these potential fluctuations, which some people find upsetting. However, if someone has reached their goal weight and are maintaining it, then whatever frequency works for them. I still think 1x week is fine and at most 3x a week.

If someone was to do it more than 1x a week, I would recommend using a rolling average (as they do with stocks) which will help flatten out any peaks up or down and give a more realistic trend line.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=46810&p=482444&#p482444

I remember some studies on this and will have to find them but it turns out that weighing at the same time of the day is important to accuracy and that morning dry weight may be the most consistent and accurate.

This is obtained by weighing oneself on the same scale, at the same time in the early morning right after awakening and right after voiding and before you eat or drink anything. . If someone was weighing 1x a week or so, I would recommend choosing the same day of the week. It someone was weighing more then 1x a week (or so), I would recommend using a rolling average (as they do with stocks) which will help flatten out any peaks, up or down, and give a more realistic trend line.

Seems consistent.

- For those trying to lose weight, weigh yourself no more then 1x a week as there are many things that can contribute to daily fluctuations.

- For those trying to maintain a weight loss, weighing yourself more frequently can be helpful to identify any upward trend before it goes to far.

My recommendation, if you are tying to lose weight, weighing yourself once a week can be a good idea. On average, most people will lose about 1-2% of their weight per week. So for anyone that is 150-300 lbs, this is about 1.5 to 6 lbs a week. This means that the more you have to lose, the more you will lose each week, which will slow down over time. If you want to weigh yourself every day, use a rolling average.

If you have lost weight and trying to keep it off, and following a consistent healthy diet, the odds of you have daily fluctuations and/or any dramatic fluctuations is dramatically reduced. Therefore, weighing yourself more frequently can prove helpful in seeing, and catching, any upward trend before it gets out of hand.

Doing this, allows you to see that you are on track and watch your trends. If you are gaining, (or not losing), better to find out sooner then later. In addition, while not all weight changes or fluctuations are fat (and most are due to fluid/water), it is also good to see these as you can see the impact of what you are eating, For instance, you will be able to see the impact of anything that is high in salt and the impact of any monthly cycles on your weight fluctuations. If you went out to eat at a restaurant and gained 2-3 lbs, you know that food was very high in salt.

In the research and in my personal experience, this is the number one reason successful long-term “losers” weight themselves frequently, They have worked so hard to lose the weight, they want to catch any upward trend ASAP.

Me? I am a 6th Degree Black Belt Scale Monkey and proud of it. :)

I weigh myself every day and have for decades, While my weight has fluctuated little over the years, I like to keep an eye on it and I like to track things.

However, if there is any day-to-day or week-to-week fluctuations, I know why and I don’t let it impact my mental or psychological state or let it decide whether I will have a good day or not.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: To Weigh or Not To Weigh?

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:14 pm

In response to this thread, the following posts were made in the McDougall FB Groups we moderate.

1) Dave was a participant in the November 2017 8-Day Century Link Program. He was also my assistant in my cooking demo

I weigh myself almost everyday. If I'm trending up I put less apples and oranges in my lunch bag and lower calorie smaller portions in the plastic bowls. For some reason my weight loss goes in bursts so when it happens I work on maintaining it more so then continuing it. Down 51 now. slow and steady to win the race.

Three hours later he add this -

And as an update to that I just weighed in after working out at the Y and I just hit a middle digit in my weight I haven't seen in 10 plus years..!! Make that down 56... now shifting into maintenance mode with no cheat weekend..!

2) Jennifer was a participant in the January 2018 10-Day McDougall Program. I have also included the chart she posted.

I wasn't planning to share this until next Saturday at my 12-week weigh-in, but I'm too impatient to wait. :)

I officially record my weight once per week on Saturdays. Sometimes I weigh in-between, but I don't 'count' it. I've seen my weight fluctuate +/- 3 to 5 lbs between weekly weigh-ins. This method works *for me*. It's not for everyone.

In the past when I did this any fluctuation up would freak me out and make me sad/angry/discouraged. It's not like that for me now. Before I weigh myself, I look in the mirror and make a mental note of how I look and how I feel. I say out loud or in my head that I look smaller, I look better and no matter what the scale says I know I'm following the plan and I will lose weight.

I was very interested to see today's results after my spring break diversion from being 100% compliant. Happily, I still lost 1/2-lb this week. And, contrary to past, I am NOT rationalizing saying, "Wow. I CAN have those drinks and sneak that candy and still lose weight." Nope. I think "Well, if I hadn't had those drinks and candy I might have lost more weight."

So, I'm extra motivated to be 100% (as I was before Easter/Spring Break) and look forward to my official 12-week weigh-in next Saturday.

As you can see, Dave is losing about 2.5 lbs a week and Jennifer is losing about 1.9 lbs per week, which is right in line with the estimate I gave above

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 am

The following is from a forum membe

Ejeff wrote:Thanks for this post Jeff I found it very interesting. I am 55 and have weighed myself and tried to watch my weight for many years. But like most SAD eaters the weight slowly crept up no matter how much I tried to eat less and exercise. I would sometimes lose weight, but always gained it back again. About 3 years ago I was at my highest weight ever (140) and I happened to hear Dr. McDougall on the radio. I was very intrigued so jumped right in stopped eating meat and dairy and ate lots of starches. I can remember after a few months in that I lost several pounds while eating a lot of food and it really felt a bit like a miracle that I could eat and no longer feel denied or starving. I was so excited! So I now weigh 30 pounds less than when I began and feel very healthy and happy. I agree that weighing yourself is beneficial to know where you are at. Plus I like numbers and data too. For many years I used paper in a binder and it was interesting to go back and review the trends in my weight. I could easily see that I always gained in the summertime and that was helpful information because it let me understand why that occurred. Anyway, now I record my weight in MyFitnessPal (since I began this new way of eating) and with 3 years of history it is very motivating to see an overall downward trend for myself. I weigh myself periodically now, but I think once a week makes sense for me. Although I don’t mind daily either. :-D Appreciate all the information you share!
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:37 am

I organized this thread because of some comments I was seeing on this board and on some McDougsall related FB groups about why people should not weigh themselves. I heard they came from Doug but wasn’t sure so yesterday I spoke with him about it. I wanted to make sure my comments were being presented in the proper perspective as perspective always matters.

What I learned is that Doug’s comments was in response to a question someone asked. Here is what he said to me.

“This was in response to ‘I ate potatoes and gained weight’. Sure. One day later, glycogen and associated water absorption and higher stool weight. And then they are ready to go ketogenic.

On a daily basis the scale gives you false feedback about your diet. Too much random variation. The scale is accurate at longer intervals. People feel they can reward themselves if their weight is “down a pound today” and eat crap. They despair when, having eaten well, they are ”up a pound” [not knowing it is] because of glycogen, fiber, and water [and/or salt]. So — if you are obsessing and unstable over this, weigh three times at the beginning of the month, take the average, and don’t weigh until next month. Trust the process. In a month, we will know if your choices have been good enough. Too many of people change plans by the day based on scale variation.”

I agree almost completely with this. It is also basically the same as what we tell the patients on the first day at the 10-Day Program when we explain some of the physiology in regard to “scale” weight.

The only difference, which I highlighted above, is that I think a month is too long to wait and prefer 1x a week. (And if you are weighing more then 1x/week, use a rolling average to smooth out any day to day variations). The reason is, if I am going off track, or have gone completely off track, or am doing just right, I want to know and I want you to know sooner then a month.

It is why we put rumble strips on the side of the highway and why we now have ‘Lane-departure warning (LDW)’, ‘Lane-keeping assist (LKA)’ and ‘Lane-centering assist’ features on newer cars. If you are heading off track, the sooner you know and can correct, the better.

If you think 1x a month works better for you, then please, keep doing that, but even then, don’t be obsessed with a number, know it is just a marker and understand the principles are way more important then the number and the number is only a sign. Regardless of whether it is 1x week or 1x a month, I don’t see any of this as a reason not to track your weight.

In the end, time and adherence is what matters most.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:44 am

I thought I would add in Dr Goldhamer's response.

I asked him, how often do they weigh people at TrueNorth while they are fasting and how often when they come in to just eat. His answer...

"Daily. Having daily data points and averaging reducing variability over 1 weekly data point. The fluctuations are almost always related to excess salt intake and helping people identify this may also be helpful."

In regard to weighing specifically during fasting, "We use daily weight for assessing hydration and early detection of heart and kidney failure etc."

Now, like at the 10-Day, TrueNorth is a medical facility doing inpatient care. Weighing patients daily or on multiple days during the week is not surprising. However, at home, I would stick to my summary recommendations above.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD