REDUX: The Real Cause of T2 Diabetes: Fat, Sugar or....

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

REDUX: The Real Cause of T2 Diabetes: Fat, Sugar or....

Postby spinner » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57026

Thanks, Jeff. These studies are fascinating and make me think that aiming for the minimum number of daily calories to maintain a BMI at the lower end of the acceptable range is the way to go. Translated to your calorie density chart, average 550 cal/pound of food by eating veggies, fruits, unprocessed whole grains, and beans and legumes and watch your serving sizes until your body (and your mind) gets used to reduced intake. Is this the correct takeaway?
spinner

Re: REDUX: The Real Cause of T2 Diabetes: Fat, Sugar or....

Postby JeffN » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:44 am

spinner wrote:These studies are fascinating and make me think that aiming for the minimum number of daily calories to maintain a BMI at the lower end of the acceptable range is the way to go.

There seems to be quite a bit of evidence pointing in that direction, especially if you go about it through a program of healthy eating and activity.

spinner wrote:Translated to your calorie density chart, average 550 cal/pound of food by eating veggies, fruits, unprocessed whole grains, and beans and legumes and watch your serving sizes until your body (and your mind) gets used to reduced intake. Is this the correct takeaway?

In regard to the studies I posted in the linked thread, the take away as is the we can quickly put T2 diabetes into remission from a dramatic decrease in calories, regardless of the make up of the macronutrients. So, the debate over fat vs sugar is misguided. Of course, the healthier the approach to reducing calories the better not only during the remission phase but also the maintenance phase. If you follow the principles of calorie density, then a 600-800 calorie diet for the remission phase will be much more satiating and nutritious.

The 550 is just an average to aim for from a public health perspective and not an individual. What that means is that the 550 cal/lb averages comes from looking at the average results of 1,000's of people and ay not apply directly to any specific one of them. So, its like a starting guideline. An individual may be able to adjust the average up some, or may need to adjust their average down to get to where they want to be.

In regard to what I think is the healthiest approach, yes, I think following the principles of calorie density is best which includes..

- Hunger - Eat when hungry until conformable full. Don't stuff and don't starve and don't eat when not hungry
- Sequence - Start meals with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
- Liquid Calories - Don't drink your calories.
- Dilution - Fill up to 50% of your plate with non starchy vegetables (and/or fruit)
- Adding vegetables, lowers the calorie density of any dish and adding fat/oil dramatically raises it.
- If you include any calorie dense foods, make sure you limit their intake and mix them into meals that are very low in calorie density

In addition, include about 30-60 minutes of activity a day (including some aerobic, resistance and flexibility exercise) that you find enjoyable, aim for a BMI of around 18.5-22 and get enough sleep, rest, relaxation, recreation, fresh air, pure water, etc and enjoy life!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD