Amla Green

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Amla Green

Postby spinner » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Jeff, the Mastering Diabetes folks think this stuff is terrific. Have you heard of it, and is there any good science about it? Amazon says this brand is "wild" and therefor safe from pesticides, environmental toxins, etc., but I am leery and also avoiding caffeine. Any truth in the good reports or just 21st century snake oil?
spinner

Re: Amla Green

Postby JeffN » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 pm

spinner wrote:Jeff, the Mastering Diabetes folks think this stuff is terrific. Have you heard of it, and is there any good science about it? Amazon says this brand is "wild" and therefor safe from pesticides, environmental toxins, etc., but I am leery and also avoiding caffeine. Any truth in the good reports or just 21st century snake oil?

Well, since the "Mastering Diabetes folks think the stuff is terrific," I would recommend asking them for the evidence that leads them to this conclusion. After all, the burden of proof is on them to prove its value and not on me to disprove it.

Hopefully, to make such a claim, the evidence is going to be pretty solid. Report back with what you find out :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby spinner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for your reply, Jeff. You are my go-to guy for unbiased info.

First, let me say that I think Cyrus and Robby and the Mastering Diabetes team are doing a real service to the diabetes community. In my mind there is no question that eating a low fat, WFPB diet will be of great benefit to those with all types of diabetes. This is the diet we are meant to eat, and it is no coincidence that eating this way is beneficial for our general health as well as for specific problems (cardiovascular, cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, etc.) If I or someone in my family were diagnosed with any type of diabetes, I'd sign up for their coaching right away.

Regarding amla, my concern was that it seems the MD team has a stake in amla green. I asked for and prompty got an email from Cyrus listing many published studies discussing amla. I'm not sure how to access all these papers (or whether I can without a subscription to the journals). I'm not sure I'd understand all the technical details of the papers. I went to NutritionFacts.org and searched for amla and I also checked Dr. Greger's book, How Not to Die. He takes amla daily, and he has the medical and epidemiological background to read and interpret the validity of the studies.

There are so many Rx meds advertised on tv these days, meds that (I assume) have been approved by the US government as safe and effective enough to be cleared for the market. There are also many "lawyer" ads on tv saying if you took XXX med and developed YYY medical condition as a result, call them to initiate or join a class action lawsuit. I have seen an ad for a certain med and an ad for a lawsuit for the very same med back to back! It's easy to be wary and I don't like taking Rxs or supplements anyway. I much prefer to try to eat a variety of foods within the WFPB spectrum than approach nutrition by a micromanaged, single nutrient approach. As T. Colin Campbell says, nutrition is a symphony, all working together, not just a single instrument.

The finches at our backyard feeder wait for other birds to eat at the feeder, to make sure it's safe and not a danger. I think I shall wait and see, like the finches.
spinner

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:27 am

spinner wrote: Thanks for your reply, Jeff. You are my go-to guy for unbiased info.

Thanks

spinner wrote:First, let me say that I think Cyrus and Robby and the Mastering Diabetes team are doing a real service to the diabetes community.

Well, if that is true and they are promoting Amla and saying, "the stuff is terrific," and they do not have the data to support that or willing to explain why they say that, then they are doing a disservice.

spinner wrote: In my mind there is no question that eating a low fat, WFPB diet will be of great benefit to those with all types of diabetes. This is the diet we are meant to eat, and it is no coincidence that eating this way is beneficial for our general health as well as for specific problems (cardiovascular, cancer, diabetes, alzheimers, etc.) If I or someone in my family were diagnosed with any type of diabetes, I'd sign up for their coaching right away.

Correct. So, since the 1930's, we have been documenting the reversal of T2 diabetes in several programs. Not one of them has ever used Amla.

spinner wrote:Regarding amla, my concern was that it seems the MD team has a stake in amla green. I asked for and prompty got an email from Cyrus listing many published studies discussing amla. I'm not sure how to access all these papers (or whether I can without a subscription to the journals). I'm not sure I'd understand all the technical details of the papers.

You can send them to me but I will guarantee you, the ones I have looked at were way misrepresent and misinterpreted by those promoting the stuff.

For the record, as you will see in my posts/threads, if they take such a position, they have a professional responsibility to not just overwhelm you with studies but to explain to you what they say and mean beyond saying, "the stuff is terrific."

spinner wrote:I went to NutritionFacts.org and searched for amla and I also checked Dr. Greger's book, How Not to Die. He takes amla daily, and he has the medical and epidemiological background to read and interpret the validity of the studies.

You shouldn't need to get the info from nutritionfacts.org, but from the people selling it and promoting it. Also, in case you missed it, I disagree with many of the conclusions at the website and have explained why.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48534

spinner wrote:There are so many Rx meds advertised on tv these days, meds that (I assume) have been approved by the US government as safe and effective enough to be cleared for the market. There are also many "lawyer" ads on tv saying if you took XXX med and developed YYY medical condition as a result, call them to initiate or join a class action lawsuit. I have seen an ad for a certain med and an ad for a lawsuit for the very same med back to back! It's easy to be wary and I don't like taking Rxs or supplements anyway. I much prefer to try to eat a variety of foods within the WFPB spectrum than approach nutrition by a micromanaged, single nutrient approach. As T. Colin Campbell says, nutrition is a symphony, all working together, not just a single instrument..

Agreed.

spinner wrote:The finches at our backyard feeder wait for other birds to eat at the feeder, to make sure it's safe and not a danger. I think I shall wait and see, like the finches.

No sense being "Mikey" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow5cHJx43i0

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD