Is the science good?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is the science good?

Postby spinner » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:18 am

Hi Jeff,
Just got your email about the faulty studies on nuts, a great reminder for me as nuts are a real trigger food (hard not to overconsume).
In the 10 minute clip you start off discussing nuts and diabetes. I don't have diabetes but am at high risk. I have been reading and watching clips from Cyrus Khambatta and Robby Barbaro on the Mastering Diabetes site, hoping that if I eat in such a way that I might avoid diabetes. Their suggestions seem right in line with what you recommend. Are you familiar with their work? What do you think of their work in controlling diabetes by diet? Is the science good?
Thanks so much for helping us all.
spinner

Re: Is the science good?

Postby JeffN » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 pm

spinner wrote:In the 10 minute clip you start off discussing nuts and diabetes. I don't have diabetes but am at high risk. I have been reading and watching clips from Cyrus Khambatta and Robby Barbaro on the Mastering Diabetes site, hoping that if I eat in such a way that I might avoid diabetes. Their suggestions seem right in line with what you recommend. Are you familiar with their work?

Yes.

As an FYI, my video was not really about nuts and/or diabetes about bad science and how studies do not always meet up the hype created around them or even their own conclusion. It was also about irresponsible journalism and the promotion of studies that clearly, people (including doctors, scientists, etc) haven't read or analyzed. I just used that study as an example of these issues
spinner wrote:What do you think of their work in controlling diabetes by diet? Is the science good?

What science? :)

Do they have any published studies? Are there any published studies using their same approach?

I don't know of any.

However, if you mean about the data in regard to the the impact of this way of life (my 5 pillars of health) on the prevention, management and treatment (even possible reversible) of diabetes, I would say the data is pretty good.

spinner wrote:Thanks so much for helping us all.

Thank you

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD