How Much Oil in in Typical Serving of Restaurant Rice

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

How Much Oil in in Typical Serving of Restaurant Rice

Postby petersk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all the great info and advice that is freely available on this website and associated youtube vids - your pithy and on-point recommendation on calorie density approach is, IMHO, one of the most important principles of a healthy diet. Been on Mcdougall for 3 years and have registered encouraging progress with most of my meals McDougall compliant except for my daily lunch that I take in a restaurant.

Followed Mcdougall advice to stick to healthy side dishes (salad with no dressing, salsa, steamed vegetables with no oil, plain fruit salad) but have not been able to find a place which does not use oil in their "steamed" rice. I am aware that in addition to your wide range of expertise in healthy lifestyle, you also have extensive experience in the food industry. On average how much oil is found in a typical serving of white rice in a a restaurant? A tablespoon or teaspoon? Would help me figure out my daily intake on non-compliant ingredient (oil) as all my other meals are now fully Mcdougall-compliant. Many thanks.

Best,
Petersk
petersk

Re: How Much Oil in in Typical Serving of Restaurant Rice

Postby JeffN » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:21 pm

petersk wrote:Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all the great info and advice that is freely available on this website and associated youtube vids - your pithy and on-point recommendation on calorie density approach is, IMHO, one of the most important principles of a healthy diet. Been on Mcdougall for 3 years and have registered encouraging progress with most of my meals McDougall compliant except for my daily lunch that I take in a restaurant.

Followed Mcdougall advice to stick to healthy side dishes (salad with no dressing, salsa, steamed vegetables with no oil, plain fruit salad) but have not been able to find a place which does not use oil in their "steamed" rice. I am aware that in addition to your wide range of expertise in healthy lifestyle, you also have extensive experience in the food industry. On average how much oil is found in a typical serving of white rice in a a restaurant? A tablespoon or teaspoon? Would help me figure out my daily intake on non-compliant ingredient (oil) as all my other meals are now fully Mcdougall-compliant. Many thanks.

Best,
Petersk

Thanks.

There is no way to know as it is up to the individual restaurant and the individual person making the rice.

You can talk to the owner and/or chef but in most cases, they won't know either and in the end, its up to the person making the rice and/or your dish that day

There is a restaurant thread here with some example of even WFPB no SOS restaurants not being honest either

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby petersk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Jeff,

Many many thanks for the prompt reply - amazing and very kind. Your assessment is most likely right as I notice the amount of glistening oil that I can spot on the restaurant rice varies almost every day. Guess the only way is to try and find an alternative or reduce my restaurant meals. As I go to the same restaurant and developed a good relationship, I might try to pre-order a large amount of rice with no oil which they can keep and serve whenever I come in - will let folks here know if it works and worth a try.

I am still in awe of your quick and professional reply which is incredible with your work schedule - once again many many thanks.

Best,
Petersk
_
petersk

Postby petersk » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 am

Success!! :-D :-D My regular lunch place agreed to prepare no-oil white rice for me as long as I call beforehand. I am currently chomping through my first no-oil white rice dish and it actually feels and tastes different with clumpier chunks. Plan to enjoy this for a few weeks and then broach the the idea of getting Brown rice - cross fingers.
Best
Peters
-
petersk

Postby petersk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:20 am

After getting my regular lunch place to serve white rice with no oil for close to 2 years (which means I have been fully-Mcdougall compliant for close to 24 months), I have finally managed to step up my game and convince the lunch place manager to provide brown rice with no oil (at a small extra charge which I consider a bargain as the added fibre and other +ve nutrients of brown rice will, I am sure, deliver greater benefits). For Newbies, you can still be Mcdougall compliant with white rice as long as it has no oil and no salt although brown rice is the preferred option.

A lesson from my experience for Newbies is to be a regular in a few restaurants and after a while, restaurant waiters/chef and manager are often willing to be flexible and assist in providing fully Mcdougall-compliant dishes.

Enjoyed my first brown rice lunch this week!

best,
Petersk
petersk

Return to Jeff Novick, RD