People and non-compliance

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: People and non-compliance

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:30 am

JeffN wrote:I thought you might all enjoy this

So my older brother, who I am very close with, has always said he is on the see-food diet because when he sees food, he eats it. When younger, he was very active, fit, at a healthy weight and stayed that way until about 15 years ago when he put on a lot of weight and was on multiple medications. Same for his wife who used to be tiny. He knows what I do, how I live etc. It is just not a topic we discuss.

He recently texted me to say he and his wife have each lost about 40 lbs (they are both around 5 ft) by doing Keto.

I said, congratulations. :)

In Health
Jeff

He texted me on Sunday. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer this past Friday.

We talked about how he was doing with it all, and I let him know if there is anything I can do to help in anyway, let me know.

The next day he was posting about his indulgences.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby CindyD » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:27 am

Oh my gosh Dr. Novick, how heartbreaking and frustrating! If you as a doctor working in this field can't convince your family, then I'm not sure how much luck I will have with my sister and her many health problems including Type 2 Diabetes. But I am going to try. I have sent The Starch Solution in both book form and CD, and sent Dr. McDougall's Ted Talk and some other videos. She watched the Ted Talk but I know better than to ask about it until she brings it up.

I just started myself and am feeling confident so far at Day 30. As mentioned in the July thread, I feel I will have an easier time than many because I gave up red meat/pork many years ago. But I am worried that if I don't get my sister started/trying the program soon, that my own results will just entrench her reluctance to begin. Because people are weird. Dangit!

Here's hoping our siblings will give this thing a try. If not now, then one day soon. :?
CindyD

Postby Rejaneration » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:18 am

I am a newbie and I have recently come to terms with the fact that there are no loopholes. This is the hard truth. I was a fat vegan for a bit but having embraced that hard truth, I am well under way again.
Rejaneration

Postby CindyD » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:42 am

I wanted to post again because tomorrow will be my one year anniversary WFPB (though I joined this forum a bit later). I am down 72 pounds (and working a bit with a strength trainer! these days) and because I stuck to this thing, I don't have much in the way of cravings anymore and I have developed a good routine of simple eating. It's a lot of shopping! But that's ok. Assuming my dogs and I don't turn into a stalk of broccoli (for most of the past year, we all have broccoli or sometimes brocc and cauliflower, steamed twice a day, every day.) I have brought my lunch to work every day for the entire year, with no plans to stop. There is still a lot of pizza and donuts at the office, but people there have been asking for advice these days, instead of trying to goad me into eating a donut. Though, luckily I didn't have to deal with too much of that. I know others are not so lucky.

When I first posted I was new and I'm sure considered a bright-eyed newbie by many people! And maybe still, as a year isn't such a long time, either. One thing that helped me was to open my eyes even more to the suffering of the animals, so even though I finally quit dairy, fish and eggs for weight loss, I'll never go back now for that and ALSO for the animals. Maybe having more than one reason to stick to it makes this easier. Maybe I shouldn't be so confident until 5 years have passed instead of one.

In any case, I am going to visit my diabetic sister, who I mentioned previously, in a couple weeks. I have convinced her to cut her dairy drastically, and also to have oatmeal (any but instant oats - my personal preference is steel-cut) every day for breakfast. These are the two things I suggest to anyone who asks me what I have done, yet balk at making what they see as drastic changes. The oatmeal suggestion was inspired by a Doug Lisle story, about a woman he had counseled for many years but who had been unable to make the necessary changes, but who he convinced to eat oatmeal for breakfast every day instead of the animal products and processed foods she was eating. And with this one change she lost 60 pounds in a year! So I tell that story and have convinced three people to try that. It's a start!

Anyway, many many thanks to Jeff and Mark and all the folks on this forum. I've been trying to come up with some plan to add my voice to this movement that has the potential to save the earth! Seriously. I mean, I don't think we'll see much change to the meat and dairy and pharmaceutical industries in my lifetime. There is so much money and power, greed and unethical people, wrapped up in keeping the status quo. I can't think about the millions of animals that are suffering every day too much, or I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. But I sure would like to help a few people and animals if I can. :-)
CindyD

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD