Blood work and low BUN

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood work and low BUN

Postby Starchy1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am

Hello,
I've been McDougall-ing for 5 years and it has helped my acne tremendously! After a recent check-up my blood work came back stating that my BUN level was 6 when it should be between 8-20, but my creatinine was normal at 0.9 which should be between 0.9 and 1.3. Total protein was 6.4 with normal between 6.1 and 7.9. My chloride was low at 100 when it should be between 101 and 111.
I've read that low BUN levels are normal in vegans, but I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein since I work-out quite a bit. Thanks for all of your expertise.
Starchy1

Re: Blood work and low BUN

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Starchy1 wrote:Hello,
I've been McDougall-ing for 5 years and it has helped my acne tremendously! After a recent check-up my blood work came back stating that my BUN level was 6 when it should be between 8-20, but my creatinine was normal at 0.9 which should be between 0.9 and 1.3. Total protein was 6.4 with normal between 6.1 and 7.9. My chloride was low at 100 when it should be between 101 and 111.
I've read that low BUN levels are normal in vegans, but I want to make sure I'm getting enough protein since I work-out quite a bit. Thanks for all of your expertise.

Well, I can't say anything about your personal blood work, especially without knowing much about you and your prior labs (as trends matter more than single numbers).

However, if I had blood work done and those numbers appeared on mine, and there was no ongoing trend, I would think, hmmmm... probably loaded up on the water a little too much before the test as all three of those numbers can happen with a little over hydration. And, every lab is different, so when numbers are off by like 1 point on their scale, I never worry, again, unless there is a continued trend moving in that direction.

If you are curious as to your protein intake, just input a few days of your dietary intake into the CRON O Meter (free online) and you will see.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD