Gut Microbiome

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Gut Microbiome

Postby Langeranger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Jeff, I posted the item below on The Lounge recently and it got hardly any response. Perhaps no one had an informed opinion about it, or maybe it really is "a hopelessly goofy question." In any event I'm curious about what you think. Thanks for all you do.

Gut Microbiome

Postby Langeranger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Forgive me if this is a hopelessly goofy question, but in the spirit of the old saw that suggests,"that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, and being loath to waste food, thus eating refrigerated left-overs (some nearing senescence) I began to wonder if, so long as they don't make me sick, the growing bacterial load is actually beneficial to my microbiome. And for any English teachers reading this, please realize I'm the king of run-on sentences...forgive me that too. J

Langeranger

Re: Gut Microbiome

Unread postby petmomful » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm
I would not think so, because the bacteria growing in the food, that would make it spoil, would not be the good stuff for your gut. Not sure, just my 2 cents worth.

petmomful

Langeranger

Re: Gut Microbiome

Postby JeffN » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:47 am

Langeranger wrote:Jeff, I posted the item below on The Lounge recently and it got hardly any response. Perhaps no one had an informed opinion about it, or maybe it really is "a hopelessly goofy question." In any event I'm curious about what you think. Thanks for all you do.

Thanks.

Langeranger wrote: Gut Microbiome

Postby Langeranger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm
Forgive me if this is a hopelessly goofy question, but in the spirit of the old saw that suggests,"that which doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, and being loath to waste food, thus eating refrigerated left-overs (some nearing senescence) I began to wonder if, so long as they don't make me sick, the growing bacterial load is actually beneficial to my microbiome. And for any English teachers reading this, please realize I'm the king of run-on sentences...forgive me that too. J

Langeranger

There are good bacteria and bad bacteria. The bacteria that is produced by food spoilage can be quite deadly.

Not something I would do.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD