Blackseed - a WFPB source of DHA/EPA?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blackseed - a WFPB source of DHA/EPA?

Postby human vegetable » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 am

Hi Jeff,

according to the following analysis, Blackseed is a substantial source of long-chain omega3 fatty acids: http://docsdrive.com/pdfs/academicjournals/rjmp/0000/18102-18102.pdf

I know that most probably, there is no need to take in EPA/DHA directly, since the body can convert these biologically active forms from ALA. Still, if a cheap and efficient WFPB source was available, supplying them directly certainly wouldn't hurt either: 15-20 grams of seeds contain about 0,5 grams of DHA/EPA combined, extrapolating from the above analysis and assuming a fat content of about 30%. One could just alternate between small daily portions of flaxseed and blackseed to keep all bases covered, while staying perfectly compliant with McDougall guidelines.

However, I wonder how reliable the analysis linked above really is. On the internet, lots of other analyses of blackseed oil are available, and none of them mention DHA/EPA. Maybe the other analyses just didn't test for these substances, because the researchers did not expect to find them there? Or is DHA/EPA testing routinely included in such a procedure?

I would really appreciate your take on this. Given the available evidence, how likely do you consider it that blackseed actually contains significant amounts of DHA/EPA? If it does, do you see any harm in including small portions in one's daily diet, as long as the overall quantity of nuts/seeds remains within the recommended guidelines?
human vegetable

Re: Blackseed - a WFPB source of DHA/EPA?

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:20 am

human vegetable wrote: I would really appreciate your take on this. Given the available evidence, how likely do you consider it that blackseed actually contains significant amounts of DHA/EPA?

.0000000000000000000001%

We have seen similar claims before in this area and in other areas and none have proven out.

Check out this thread ...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45658

...especially this post

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45658&#p505076

human vegetable wrote: If it does...

See above. :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Blackseed - a WFPB source of DHA/EPA?

Postby human vegetable » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for bursting my bubble.

Still, I hope there will be follow-up research, clarifying this issue once and for all.
human vegetable

Return to Jeff Novick, RD