What classifies as conservative cooking?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

What classifies as conservative cooking?

Postby DanTheYogi » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:12 am

Hi Jeff

I recently was going through this thread about Dr Lisle's continuum of Evil:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54512

In your "Level A" food category, you mentioned the food should be "raw or conservatively cooked."

What classifies as conservative cooking? Grilling and deep-frying are obvious no-nos. But do you have any others you don't recommend? I sometimes like to oven-roast veggies to the point of being a little charred, for example. Also curious on your thoughts on pressure cooking, slow cooking, etc.

Thanks for your time.
DanTheYogi

Re: What classifies as conservative cooking?

Postby JeffN » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 am

DanTheYogi wrote:Hi Jeff

I recently was going through this thread about Dr Lisle's continuum of Evil:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54512

In your "Level A" food category, you mentioned the food should be "raw or conservatively cooked."

What classifies as conservative cooking? Grilling and deep-frying are obvious no-nos. But do you have any others you don't recommend? I sometimes like to oven-roast veggies to the point of being a little charred, for example. Also curious on your thoughts on pressure cooking, slow cooking, etc.

Thanks for your time.

Good question.

Cooking is a process so I would use my same definition for processed foods...

Any cooking that doesn't significantly reduce the nutritional value and/or add in (or create) anything harmful

Examples would include.... boiling, steaming, microwaving, water sautéing, lightly broiling/roasting/grilling, etc

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD