Continuum of Health?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Continuum of Health?

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 am

Way back in 2014, you wrote, in a thread about how many starchy veggies we should eat,

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=440698#p440698

you wrote the following:

(NOTE: In the near future, I am releasing the "Continuum of Health," a comprehensive, integrated system that unifies the principles and guidelines of all these programs into one set of overriding recommendations. I have spent the last 5 years working closely with all the above mentioned doctors, along with most all the other leading health care professionals in the WFPB movement in developing it)

Now, I know you wrote an article called Continuum of Health, part 1, on your website back in Dec 2013:

http://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entries/2013/12/5_The_Specturm_Of_Health__The_Evidence_For_A_Whole_Food_Plant_Base_Diet_-_Pt_1.html

but I've never seen a part 2, nor anything else with the title Continuum of Health.

Have you pursued this? Is it supposed to be a book, a longer article, maybe in a peer reviewed publication, or maybe you're even planning on a video course similar to Dr. McDougall's courses?

Just rereading some old stuff this morning and came across this and was wondering. I do miss your presence on the ASW videos and on YouTube, and keep hoping Gustavo would get you to do one of the McDougall webinars some day. Until then, I just keep an eye on your work here and keep my fingers crossed.
VeggieSue

Re: Continuum of Health?

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 pm

VeggieSue wrote:. Have you pursued this? Is it supposed to be a book, a longer article, maybe in a peer reviewed publication, or maybe you're even planning on a video course similar to Dr. McDougall's courses?

I have not put it out there publicly but it has been in (or was) in use at Whole Food Markets, some medical practices, our Health Professionals weekend, etc. My concern with it is that it focuses mostly on which is the better of the bad foods and I am not sure that helps people in todays world. Our world has become so saturated with unhealthy packaged/processed foods, many of which are marketed to the WFPB/Vegan community as healthy, that I really have stepped back from this discussion. I expand on this more in this thread where I responded to Dr Lisle's Continuum of Evil.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54512

VeggieSue wrote:.or maybe you're even planning on a video course similar to Dr. McDougall's courses?

I thought about it but I doubt it.

I have a few projects I am working on including ....

- a video project that I want to do with Dr McDougall that he has agreed to but is on the back burner for now till we find the time.
- rebuilding my website.
- expanding my consulting soon.
- a book, that will be more like a textbook.
- consulting with a start-up Lifestyle Medicine health insurance company.

Never a dull movement :)

VeggieSue wrote:.I do miss your presence on the ASW videos and on YouTube, and keep hoping Gustavo would get you to do one of the McDougall webinars some day. Until then, I just keep an eye on your work here and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind words.

Gustavo and Dr McDougall have tried hard to get me to do them but I quit doing all "public" appearances, interviews, videos, social media etc toward the end of 2013, early 2014. One issue was all the travel, which I have dramatically cut back on. Being on the road about 60-70% of the time is hard.

I have done a few Q&A Webinars with the full McDougall team that Gustavo has facilitated but they are private and only available to the participants who have been through the program from the businesses we work with, like WFM.

My focus has always been on the individual and not on changing the world, creating a movement or as Dr McDougall says, "one night stands." As such, I have continued to do the 10-Day Residential program because that is my favorite. It is really wonderful to work with highly motivated people who have committed 10-days of their life to participate in the program and work together with them and a full team. I only wish it was for 14-28 days and not 10 so we could spend more time together in that setting. I also continue to do the 3-Day Intensives for similar reasons.

I hope this helps (and I am sure you will keep me on my toes about my projects) :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:20 am

Thanks, Jeff, and good luck in all your endeavors. Hopefully one of these years this NJ couple will be lucky enough to get to California to see the Florida guy in action at a 10 Day. :) Too bad those short "EHE and Me" videos were put behind a firewall - I enjoyed them when they were available to the general public. Please succumb to Gustavo's pleas for at least one of the weekly McD free webinars - a lot of newbies have no idea who you are, and you can do it right from your home office - no travel involved.

And a textbook written by you would be a fantastic resource! I look forward to it, even if it means I may need to dig out my old chem and A&P textbooks to translate some of it. :lol:

Until then, I'll continue to look forward to all the juicy scraps you toss us here. Thanks again.
VeggieSue

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 am

VeggieSue wrote:Too bad those short "EHE and Me" videos were put behind a firewall - I enjoyed them when they were available to the general public.

I think I made around 150 of those and I think there are still a few at their youtube site. I stepped down from my position this past December as they were sold to a new company that had a different philosophy on health and nutrition.

VeggieSue wrote:Please succumb to Gustavo's pleas for at least one of the weekly McD free webinars - a lot of newbies have no idea who you are, and you can do it right from your home office - no travel involved.

Good point. I'll think about it.

VeggieSue wrote:And a textbook written by you would be a fantastic resource! I look forward to it, even if it means I may need to dig out my old chem and A&P textbooks to translate some of it. :lol:

Don't worry, it will be user friendly.

VeggieSue wrote:Until then, I'll continue to look forward to all the juicy scraps you toss us here. Thanks again.

Scraps? :)

You know this forum may just be one of the largest free resources of credible info from a qualified health care professional in the healthy WFPB world. I think only Dr McDougall surpasses it.

Now, I just need to organize it better

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:59 am

JeffN wrote:Scraps? :)

OK, maybe worded wrong? Tasty morsels? Juicy tidbits?

You know this forum may just be one of the largest free resources of credible info from a qualified health care professional in the healthy WFPB world. I think only Dr McDougall surpasses it.

And yes, very many feasts, from both of you.

(That's what I get for trying to be witty!)

[quote]Now, I just need to organize it better

You''ll get there. The Internet isn't going anywhere. What you need is a tech savvy teenager, or a college kid looking for a project for school credit. :)
VeggieSue

Return to Jeff Novick, RD