"Yowel" circuits?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

"Yowel" circuits?

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi Jeff.

I'm rereading The Pleasure Trap and am curious about the concept of "yowel" circuits (p. 72), the mechanisms associated with discouraging excessive eating when overweight. The book does not mention any of the specific mechanisms. Do you know anything about this? I'd be happy to Google it myself, but can't seem to figure out what to search.

Thanks!

P.S. I've been trying out your SNAP meals, and they are amazing. Thank you!!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Re: "Yowel" circuits?

Postby JeffN » Thu May 18, 2017 11:37 am

Lyndzie wrote:I'm rereading The Pleasure Trap and am curious about the concept of "yowel" circuits (p. 72), the mechanisms associated with discouraging excessive eating when overweight. The book does not mention any of the specific mechanisms. Do you know anything about this? I'd be happy to Google it myself, but can't seem to figure out what to search.

I emailed Doug and this is what he said...

"Yowel " is the acronym I made up for "you're over weight eat less". When people are fat, leptin secreted by fat stores reduces the hunger drive. A basic homeostatic mechanism."

Lyndzie wrote:I've been trying out your SNAP meals, and they are amazing. Thank you!!

Thanks!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: "Yowel" circuits?

Postby Lyndzie » Wed May 31, 2017 4:56 am

Thanks, Jeff! I really appreciate you taking the time to track down the answer from the source.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD