Vitamin k2

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin k2

Postby catalina1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:37 am

Recent research into K2 revealed it is needed for cardiovascular & bone health . However , it is found in only animal foods & certain fermented vegetable foods , such as natto . It is also reported to be produced by certain bacteria in the human body , but is unknown if de novo production is enough for human nutritional requirements . My question then is , if I do not like the taste of natto & certainly do not want to resort to consuming dead animals or their secretions , is in-Vivo production enough ?
catalina1

Re: Vitamin k2

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:19 pm

on K2

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45710

Humans beings are capable of synthesizing adequate amounts of it.

Of course, one must live and eat healthy.

In Health
Jeff

The contribution of vitamin K2 (menaquinones) produced by the intestinal microflora to human nutritional requirements for vitamin K. Am J Gastroenterol. 1994 Jun;89(6):915-23.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8198105

Abstract

BACKGROUND: Coagulopathy manifest by elevation of the prothrombin time (PT) in patients receiving broad spectrum antimicrobials indirectly suggests a role for intestinal microflora synthesized menaquinone (MK) in the maintenance of normal coagulation. Nonetheless, no direct evidence is available to support this contention.

OBJECTIVE: Our objective was therefore to provide evidence that bacterially produced MK may be absorbed by the distal small bowel of humans.

METHODS:Using a cell harvester, Staphylococcus aureus (ATCC 29213) was grown in 12-L batches, harvested, and extracted by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) to obtain 8 mg of pure MK. Four normal volunteers were placed on a diet severely restricted in vitamin K1 (median 32-40 U/day), and were given warfarin to maintain an International Normalized Ratio of approximately 2.0. On the 10th day of warfarin administration, naso-ileal intubation was performed and 1.5 mg of MK was delivered into the ileum. PT, factor VII, II and serum vitamin K1 levels were monitored throughout the study.

RESULTS:Mean serum vitamin K1 levels were reduced to 30% of the pre-diet value at the time of MK administration. Within 24 h of ileal MK administration, there was a significant (p < 0.05) increase in the factor VII level of 0.28 +/- 0.10 U/ml (mean +/- SEM) and a significant decrease of 2.5 (+/- 0.1) s in the PT, whereas in the control phase (during which no MK was administered), there were no significant changes in the PT or factor VII at corresponding time intervals.

CONCLUSION:These data provide direct evidence for the absorption of vitamin K2 from the distal small bowel, supporting a definite role for bacterially synthesized vitamin K2 in contributing to the human nutritional requirements of this vitamin.

The production of menaquinones (vitamin K2) by intestinal bacteria and their role in maintaining coagulation homeostasis.
Prog Food Nutr Sci. 1992 Oct-Dec;16(4):307-43.
Conly JM1, Stein K.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1492156

Abstract

Vitamin K is an essential cofactor necessary for the production of clotting factors II, VII, IX, and X in humans and has recently been found to be an essential factor for many other proteins in the body. There are two sources of this essential vitamin, including vitamin K1, or phylloquinone which is primarily found in green leafy vegetables and vitamin K2 or menaquinone which is synthesized by certain intestinal bacteria. The precise contribution of the bacterially synthesized menaquinone to overall vitamin K requirements in man is unknown. This paper reviews the available literature regarding the production and liberation of menaquinones from bacteria, the animal experiments which have been done to examine the absorption of menaquinones and the indirect and direct evidence in humans regarding utilization of menaquinones. The preponderance of the evidence suggests that bacterially synthesized menaquinones, particularly in the ileum can and do play a significant role in contributing to vitamin K requirements in humans to prevent clinically significant coagulopathy, especially during periods of episodic dietary lack of the vitamin.

I'm interested in your current health & weight status & if you've been able to achieve your goals since we met?

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby catalina1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:52 pm

I have no medical issues, although my weight is still up a little bit. I currently weigh 187 pounds which is about 20 some pounds higher than expected for my age and height group. I have dabbled in a fruitarian diet for a while and not to say it's bad it was a good diet but it just is hard to function socially. So I do consume beans lots of potatoes and sweet potatoes corn salad and also a good amount of fruit but unfortunately I still include yogurt and cheese in my diet. I'm trying so hard to give those up and for a while I was successful but then I fell right back into the dairy trap again
catalina1

Postby catalina1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Jeff the reason I asked you about vitamin K2, was because apparently it is a new hot vitamin in research. So, as usual, since it is not found in plant products, that's another reason to send fear into the vegan community. As I do consume cheese at times, I am getting it that way. As I told you I have been switching between vegan and vegetarian for the past several years, mostly vegan. Since I am thinking of restarting a vegan diet, I was just a little bit concerned because, as I said, it's in all the latest nutritional hotdog commentaries. I have seen a lot of so called doctors promoting supplements, possibly getting a kickback. I just wanted to clarify the issue
catalina1

Postby JeffN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:19 pm

catalina1 wrote:Jeff the reason I asked you about vitamin K2, was because apparently it is a new hot vitamin in research. So, as usual, since it is not found in plant products, that's another reason to send fear into the vegan community. As I do consume cheese at times, I am getting it that way. As I told you I have been switching between vegan and vegetarian for the past several years, mostly vegan. Since I am thinking of restarting a vegan diet, I was just a little bit concerned because, as I said, it's in all the latest nutritional hotdog commentaries. I have seen a lot of so called doctors promoting supplements, possibly getting a kickback. I just wanted to clarify the issue

in regard to health (which vegan doesn't equate to or mean), the most important thing is to ignore all the new and hot items.

in the last 75 years of medicine, how many truly paradigm shifting breakthroughs have happened? 5? 10? Maybe.

So, for 75 years, that means 1 every 7.5 to 10 years. Maybe.

In nutrition, about the same, if that.

A few years back I surveyed most all the leading WFPB docs and nutritionists and mainstream docs & nutritionists and asked the same question. I don't think we got even 10 from either field.

The basic requirements for excellent health have been known and tested and described in published studies since 1930 and beyond.

I would recommend reading this post (and the links in it)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48534&p=502241&#p502241

Don't get caught up in the (mis)information highway and everyones attempt to major in minor things.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD