Oil

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oil

Postby Langeranger » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:40 pm

Jeff, I've quoted your words from the Why Oil post more times than I can count. Recently though, I've had a sobering thought which I need help with. Here's an except of your words:

"So, basically you are getting lots of calories (oils has almost 2.5 x more calorie per TB than sugar). lots of omega 6s, some saturated fat (depending on the oil) and virtually no nutrients.

The definition of a junk food is a food that is high in calories (and/or fat, sugar, salt) and has little if any nutrient value at all."

So here's my worry, what if someone challenges me saying, but how can you say "little if any nutrient value at all" when oils provide essential Omega fats?" Thanks, Don
Langeranger

Re: Oil

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:43 am

Langeranger wrote:So here's my worry, what if someone challenges me saying, but how can you say "little if any nutrient value at all" when oils provide essential Omega fats?" Thanks, Don

Well, my first response is to not engage in the debate with them. My perspective is almost identical to what Dr Lisle discusses in his presentation, "How To Get Along Without Going Along" and his "seems" strategy and the one expressed in the Twelve Traditions of the 12-step programs, "Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion."

Second, the statement that oils provide essential fats only shows a misunderstanding. Most oils are low in omega 3's, high in omega 6's have poor omega 6/3 ratios, are all calorie dense and highly processed. The only possible exception may be flax oil and possibly walnut oil but in each case, the walnut and the flaxseed would be the better overall nutritional package.

Third, why does that statement even matter. It is assuming that our diets are inadequate in essential fats which they are not or that you are in need of some, which if you are eating healthy, is not true.

Lastly, for your own sake...

The comment, "little if any nutrient value at all" is based on the concept of nutrient density per calorie. So, which foods have the most nutrient(s) per calories.

Here is the amount of Omega 3's Per 120 Calories
Olive oil - .1 gm
Cooked Broccoli - .4

So, as you an easily see, for the same amount of calories, broccoli has 4x the omega 3's.

We can do this for every nutrient and as you will see, olive oil comes up very low. The 120 calories of olive oil does have 1.9 mg vitamin E, and 8.1 mc vitamin K but every other nutrient registers a "0" at CRON-O-Meter.

Lets compare the Vitamin E and Vitamin K values of the two foods

The Amount of Vitamin E Per 120 Calories (in grams)
Olive Oil - 1.9
Broccoli - 6.9

The Amount of Vitamin K Per 120 Calories (in micrograms)
Olive Oil - 8.1
Broccoli - 479.4

And that is just for the 2 nutrients that are registering in CRON-O-Meter. Imagine if we do the comparison per 120 calories between Broccoli and Olive oil for all nutrients?

Olive oil is pure fat, with 14% of the fat coming from saturated fats, has an omega 6/3 ratio of ~14/1, is not a good source of omega 3's, is 4000 calories per pound, and except for trace amounts of Vitamin K, and Vitamin E, "has little if any nutrient value at all." :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Oil

Postby Langeranger » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 am

Very helpful Jeff. Thanks for your detailed response. Don
Langeranger

Return to Jeff Novick, RD