"The Breakdown in Biomedical Research"

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

"The Breakdown in Biomedical Research"

Postby LarryB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

The Wall Street Journal's Saturday essay today discusses the "reproducibility crisis" in biomedical research. One study found that initial positive results which were reported in the media were found to be false half the time. A study at Bayer found that they could replicate only 25% of the findings in various studies, and the head of cancer research at Amgen found they could reproduce only 6 of 53 promising studies, even with the help of the original researchers. (Links to the papers are in the essay).

This reminded me of what I remember as one of Jeff Novick's rules: your response to the results of a single study, no matter how exciting, should always be "hmmm, interesting."
LarryB

Re: "The Breakdown in Biomedical Research"

Postby JeffN » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks Larry.

If you have not read it, you may want to read through my post on, The Importance of Evidence"

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27778

I cover some of these exact issues in this post in the thread...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27778&start=30

Also, if you didn't see it, here is a clip that was put up recently of me discussing a study on nuts, that was retracted 5 years later. You may remember this from the last talk I gave at the program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvYq6WTm258

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: "The Breakdown in Biomedical Research"

Postby LarryB » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks, Jeff. One of the best results from listening to your talks was becoming more and more sensitive to the misuse and distortion of scientific results when they are published and when they are fed to the public. Keep it coming!
LarryB

Return to Jeff Novick, RD