WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes re-re-Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes re-re-Redux

Postby geo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:29 pm

I think there may be enough questions on this particular study that maybe they should all be under one thread rather than multiples but anyhow....

The one big deal for me with this study is that there was 75% compliance within 6 months and an amazing 70% compliance after a whole year...and they are still going. Now of course with self reporting there is question as to what exactly compliance means, but simply the fact that 70% have understood at least some of the principles and followed them well enough to claim compliancy, after even a year, to me says a great deal. Whats more astounding is that was 70% compliance with folks that probably knew little or nothing of a WFPB Diet or the program they were taught. That tells me the researchers were doing something very right!

I mean, even here, with all the success people have had, the testimonials, the questions answered, the comaraderie and support and the Doctors and RD's directly available to us everyday, can we claim as high an success rate? I'm thinking not. But I also think the people that come here are probably far, far more motivated to be here, than study candidates. So what gives?

Questions come to mind:

1. What did they do right/differently? Was material presented differently?
2. What impact did the Starch Solution books have?
3. What kept them motivated for a year and apparently beyond? Was it results? food? simplicity? affordability?
4. Is there something special the researchers did that kept the participants motivated in a way that we could use here?

Can Dr McDougall provide any info on what his participation was in the study other than providing his book? Was his book the guiding principle for the diet used or was it more of an example they could use with meal plans and such?
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes re-re-Redux

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

geo wrote:I think there may be enough questions on this particular study that maybe they should all be under one thread rather than multiples but anyhow....

The one big deal for me with this study is that there was 75% compliance within 6 months and an amazing 70% compliance after a whole year...and they are still going. Now of course with self reporting there is question as to what exactly compliance means, but simply the fact that 70% have understood at least some of the principles and followed them well enough to claim compliancy, after even a year, to me says a great deal. Whats more astounding is that was 70% compliance with folks that probably knew little or nothing of a WFPB Diet or the program they were taught. That tells me the researchers were doing something very right!

I mean, even here, with all the success people have had, the testimonials, the questions answered, the comaraderie and support and the Doctors and RD's directly available to us everyday, can we claim as high an success rate? I'm thinking not. But I also think the people that come here are probably far, far more motivated to be here, than study candidates. So what gives?

1) two of the authors did 3 months internships with Dr McDougall and TrueNorth. One of them, Luke Wilson is a fairly active member of one of the McDougall FB Groups. Both their contact info should be listed in the study. I am sure they wouldn't mind respectful intelligent questions

2) I would recommend reviewing my initial thread on Compliance. There are many ways people monitor compliance from as simple as showing up to the weekly/monthly group, to a generic dietary analysis (i.e., were you adherent?) to a very detailed dietary analysis and/or blood analysis. Some count drop outs, some don't.

3) While the weight was a very positive result, I have my own questions as some of the other bio-markers should have been much better based on the "reported' compliance as they were not as good as we typically see.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD