WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes Redux

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes Redux

Postby hazelrah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:30 pm

JeffN wrote:Here is the recommended food list

Looks a little like the MWL :)

:)

How come nobody ever mentions turnips, carrots or radishes in these things? Silverbeet even gets it's own bullet point and nobody ever calls chard that. ( I had to look up what it was.) But watermelon radishes and turnips, everybody forgets about. I might be misreading the table, but it looks kind of light on starch to me , too. No squash, no peas,... Are they just included in vegetables?

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: WFPB diet for Obesity, IHF, & Diabetes Redux

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:38 pm

hazelrah wrote:
JeffN wrote:Here is the recommended food list

Looks a little like the MWL :)

How come nobody ever mentions turnips, carrots or radishes in these things? Silverbeet even gets it's own bullet point and nobody ever calls chard that. ( I had to look up what it was.) But watermelon radishes and turnips, everybody forgets about. I might be misreading the table, but it looks kind of light on starch to me , too. No squash, no peas,... Are they just included in vegetables?

Mark

Yes. I think you're misreading it. :). But then again, it was not provided to you as part of the ongoing educational classes which the subjects received.

1) It's a simplified teaching tool.

2) if you get to concise in your message, people complain & want more info. If you give more info, they want a concise answer.

3) They are all vegetables (squash, peas, etc)

Personally, I think it is important for several reasons to separate non-starchy from starchy vegetables but not everyone else does.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby hazelrah » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

JeffN wrote:Yes.

2) if you get to concise in your message, people complain & want more info. If you give more info, they want a concise answer.

Personally, I think it is important for several reasons to separate non-starchy from starchy but not everyone else does.

In Health
Jeff

Just teasing you. But it is upsetting to see all my favorite legal foods get squeezed out for stuff like chard and watercress. Turnip greens don't even get into Dr E's one breath mantra and there's some other weird leaves that make it in there. Watercress but no arugula? What is the WFPB world coming to?

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

hazelrah wrote:
JeffN wrote:Yes.

Personally, I think it is important for several reasons to separate non-starchy from starchy vegetables but not everyone else does.

In Health
Jeff

Just teasing you. But it is upsetting to see all my favorite legal foods get squeezed out for stuff like chard and watercress. Turnip greens don't even get into Dr E's one breath mantra and there's some other weird leaves that make it in there. Watercress but no arugula? What is the WFPB world coming to?

Mark

JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD