Nuts & Diabetes

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nuts & Diabetes

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 am

If anyone has seen my DVD or presentation, Nuts & Health, the lecture is not only about nuts abut an example of how bad & misleading science is. In it, I use several examples of studies on nuts & heart disease, nuts & diabetes and of course nuts & weight to make the point

In one of the studies on diabetes, I show how misleading this study is and how all the charts are rigged and say it never should have been published

Nuts as a Replacement for Carbohydrates in the Diabetic Diet
Diabetes Care. 2011 Aug; 34(8): 1706–1711.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3142027/

It's conclusion was... "Two ounces of nuts daily as a replacement for carbohydrate foods improved both glycemic control and serum lipids in type 2 diabetes."

I got this message yesterday.

"As for the nuts, it reminded me to send this recent notice of retraction from a 2011 nut study you discussed in your nuts lecture. "

The study has now been retracted.

Statement of Retraction. Nuts as a Replacement for Carbohydrates in the Diabetic Diet.
Diabetes Care 2011;34:1706–1711. DOI: 10.2337/dc11-0338
Diabetes Care. 2016 Feb; 39(2): 319.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5223408/

"The authors wish to retract this article because of an unintended error in statistical applications. A subsequent reanalysis of the data has shown that a number of the findings of the study described in this publication are no longer definitively different. (NOTE: That means of no value). :) The corresponding author voluntarily reported these discrepancies to the editors of Diabetes Care. The decision to retract the article is supported by all the authors based on their reevaluation of the data. The decision to retract the article is also supported by the editors of the journal and the American Diabetes Association, the publisher of Diabetes Care. At a later date, the authors intend to submit a revised article to Diabetes Care for full peer review with the appropriate statistical analysis applied."

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Nuts & Diabetes

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Here is a 10 minute video clip of me addressing the above study from my Nuts & Health presentation (which I called, "CRACKED! A Closer Look at the Claims About Nuts,") at the Vegsource Conference 2012

https://youtu.be/jSqndisTySg

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Nuts & Diabetes

Postby kirstykay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:14 pm

WOW! Of course, this won't make the news. But thanks for telling us about it here. It is so helpful to have evidence based science to share with people who think nuts are good and potatoes are bad. Thanks for your good work, and for keeping us all informed!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Return to Jeff Novick, RD