I am unable to find any conclusion to this - help.

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

I am unable to find any conclusion to this - help.

Postby Doug_ » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:51 am

Jeff, I have tried reading through all the pertinent threads but I haven't been able to figure this out. If you could please share any insight I would be grateful! I've chosen to do a class presentation (Technical Communication) on vitamin D, and these are the questions I have so far been unable to find good answers to.

1. Any evidence to suggest that a higher natural level like 65 ng/mL (not nm/L) obtained by regular but brief (10 minute) sun exposure is harmful?

2. The controlled trials I have seen that show vitamin D supplements causing harm had subjects take a mega-dose (300,000 IU or 500,000 IU). Have any studies closer to the actual recommended doses (say around 2000 IU) found evidence of harm? I know there are trials that will begin to have results starting at the end of this year but perhaps some studies already suggest evidence? Otherwise I suppose that is still up in the air.

Many thanks in advance!
Doug_

Re: I am unable to find any conclusion to this - help.

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Doug_ wrote:Jeff, I have tried reading through all the pertinent threads but I haven't been able to figure this out. If you could please share any insight I would be grateful! I've chosen to do a class presentation (Technical Communication) on vitamin D, and these are the questions I have so far been unable to find good answers to.

1. Any evidence to suggest that a higher natural level like 65 ng/mL (not nm/L) obtained by regular but brief (10 minute) sun exposure is harmful?

2. The controlled trials I have seen that show vitamin D supplements causing harm had subjects take a mega-dose (300,000 IU or 500,000 IU). Have any studies closer to the actual recommended doses (say around 2000 IU) found evidence of harm? I know there are trials that will begin to have results starting at the end of this year but perhaps some studies already suggest evidence? Otherwise I suppose that is still up in the air.

Many thanks in advance!

Perhaps there is no "conclusion" to what you are looking for in regard to this issue.

I think there is some controversy here that is not resolved and if you read my threads on Vitamin D, you see which side I favor and why.

I think there is some concern about excess Vitamin D and not just from megadoses at one time (though most often from supplements, fortified foods and possibly tanning beds).

Excuse this "shotgun" response, but you might want to scroll through these.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?te ... d+toxicity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD